Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading: But that's not the trader I wanted...  (Read 800 times)

WomanTheatre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading: But that's not the trader I wanted...
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

I've been through a few fortresses that upon building the Trade Depot it tends to 'adopt' a random dwarf in my group as the broker - it has never been the one Dwarf I gave leadership skills to before embarking.

Can this be changed?  What influences the system's choice?  Should I designate the Study/Office I built to this chosen dwarf so he has a chance at raising the appraise skill?

Thanks!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Trading: But that's not the trader I wanted...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Press the (n) button for the Nobles screen. You can replace the Trader (as well as the Manager and Clerk) there.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

From what I've seen, it's pretty random as to who gets the positions at the start of the game. It'll generally be someone with social skills who gets it, but it's not guaranteed.

Press 'n' to access the nobles screen and you can change the manager, broker and bookkeeper to whoever you wish. The only one that can't be changed is the expedition leader.

Also, an office won't increase a dwarf's appraisal skill - they'll only gain this via trading. Doesn't matter much, anyway. Odds are that on your first trade whoever does the trading will gain enough appraisal skill to gain a few levels. I don't bother giving dwarves any appraisal skill at the start of the game because of this; from my experience it's extremely rare for my trading dwarf to be lower than Skilled Appraiser after the dwarven caravan arrives in the first Autumn.

Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

WomanTheatre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:42:00 am »

Thanks for the help - we'll see if it works out next autumn...