Advanced search  

Author Topic: PLINK  (Read 1382 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
PLINK
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:33:45 am »

So, I've been searching the Chrome app store thingy for a guitar tab player that's not borked for no good reason, and I came across this cool little... I'm not sure if you can even describe it as a game. Cooperative music generator?

Basically, you use your mouse to control a small circle moving up and down and when you press the LMB, the circle spawns bubbles in one of eight pickable colors which you can change at any time. The colors represent instruments, and spawning the bubbles is accompanied by playing a note on that instrument, higher or lower in pitch depending on the position of the circle thingy.

Along with you, up to three (I believe) other players per room (server) do likewise. Music happens.

All in all, it's pretty fun, especially if you find someone who is fun to jam with, and pretty much impossible to fuck up - worst case scenario, you sound unimaginative.

You can also create private rooms, which can hold up to six players.

It's browser based - more specifically, Google Chrome based, so if you want to try it, you need it (or Safari, which works too).

Linky:
http://labs.dinahmoe.com/

Video:
http://vimeo.com/dinahmoe/plink
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PLINK
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:05:46 am »

I just tried it with random people

It is..... quite amazing for how simple it is.

If they fleshed this out a bit more they would have a really neat tool for making music, especially for those like me who cannot compose for squat =p

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 11:39:37 am »

If they fleshed this out a bit more they would have a really neat tool for making music, especially for those like me who cannot compose for squat =p

I totally feel you. I wonder how it works that no matter what you do, the result is always consonant. The instruments aren't anything strange, those are standard synth settings, and yet it's impossible to screw the sound up.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »

Just played this with you, srcdest. I was one of the Sneaky Plinker guys.

This is pretty fun =D

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

srcdest is Valve's dedicated server for Source games :P

One thing I would like to be added is a small chat thingy, I had played earlier today with a Sneaky Plinker who was extremely fun to jam with, we did a call and answer sorta thing, and now I'll have no idea if I meet him again.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »

It's kinda poetic in a way isn't it? =p

How exactly do you make private 'servers' though?

They should make 1-9 keys pick instrument

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »

It's kinda poetic in a way isn't it? =p

How exactly do you make private 'servers' though?

They should make 1-9 keys pick instrument

Basically, just add a string at the end of the link. Like (whatever).com#B12