Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scales  (Read 2446 times)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Scales
« on: October 11, 2014, 07:11:28 pm »

What do scales do? Can you just use them instead of leather when making something?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Scales
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:51 pm »

Used to be that you could use scales instead of leather.  However, at some point (I think it was in 0.34.xx) scales were rendered as unusable refuse.

Most of the big conversion mods have added in reactions for scales, and several of the smaller "more reactions" mods also utilize them.

However, in vanilla DF 40.xx, they're just junk parts, like nervous tissue and tendons.

If you want a quick mod to let you tan scales into leather just add this to the scales_template entry in material_template_default.txt raw file:

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:19:12 pm by Tacomagic »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 07:58:12 pm »

If you want a quick mod to let you tan scales into leather just add this to the scales_template entry in material_template_default.txt raw file:

Would this require a world regening? Probably not, but...
More importantly, can scales rot?

And also, what about nails? Can you build with those?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:28 pm »

They're basically useless, just like chitin. I'm working on a scalery/scale workshop mod, and having scales all be on one of three tiers. It's taking longer than I thought, but it should work out well.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:10:32 pm »

Would this require a world regening? Probably not, but...
More importantly, can scales rot?

And also, what about nails? Can you build with those?

You should be able to change this for an exiting world.  Just have to copy the raws into the save and you should be golden.
Scales do not rot by default.  You can fix this by adding the [ROTS] token.

I don't think nails can be used for anything by default.  They also don't appear to rot, either.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:25:43 pm »

You could have nails, teeth, and feathers work as decorations, correct? Like for adding onto crafts.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:52:44 pm »

You could have nails, teeth, and feathers work as decorations, correct? Like for adding onto crafts.
I know feathers can't, and I don't think there is an option for nail in the craft-dwarf workshop...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 09:09:21 pm »

Oh, sorry, I was talking about modding them in. Though I'm pretty sure there's a decoration option for teeth and nails. I had an artifact door studded with giant dingo teeth.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:28:07 pm »

Oh, sorry, I was talking about modding them in. Though I'm pretty sure there's a decoration option for teeth and nails. I had an artifact door studded with giant dingo teeth.

Teeth you can do (called ivory).

Unfortuantely most of the decorating reactions are currently hard coded, so I'm reasonably sure there's no way to make new decorating reactions (could be wrong, that's a question for the modding forum).

However, it's pretty simple to mod in a "make {whatever} crafts" reaction, so you could always do that with all the odds and ends you have left over from butchering.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:07:33 pm »

Oh, okay.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:08 am »

I think you can make scales fireimmune as well just to give them something more than the normal leather.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

I think you can make scales fireimmune as well just to give them something more than the normal leather.

From a defensive standpoint, scales also have much higher shear values so they should provide a moderate improvement over leather against cutting attacks.  But, otherwise, most of the values are pretty similar.

However, bone has much better defensive material values than either. It's actually rather comparable to copper, now that I look at them, copper is better against blunt attacks and bone is better against cutting.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:26:42 am by Tacomagic »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

I dont know why, but this thread made me remember this episide of the ripping friends.

Poor boy boy.  Poor, poor boy boy.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:32:04 am »

A mixture of leather and bone armour is surprisingly effective, but still well below metal armours.