Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personal Critical Issues  (Read 1595 times)

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Personal Critical Issues
« on: August 23, 2006, 05:09:00 pm »

I've been playing the game and I love it. I also realize that this is an alpha so I am going to provide suggestions of things I think are critical issues that need to take priority.

1. Justice... It doesn't work, period. Any time the sherrif or guard tries to chain up someone 5 other dwarves start attacking them and it ends up with a riot that kills off the entire fortress. Also laws should apply to nobles too, I had one go berzerk for no reason and start killing randomly. This HAS to be fixed right away first thing because its ruining the game. The other dwarves have to respect the justice system when they're not tantrumming.

2. Healing... It should not be that once a dwarf gets any kind of wound its over for them. There has to be some way to get them to heal faster and keep them from going insane before they do. Painkillers, doctors, entertainers, I don't care how its done but this is a critical issue.

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Critical Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »

Oh yeah. And dwarves should sleep when they're tired even if they're really mad and they should sleep when they're resting. One of the reasons that they always go insane is that they can't sleep when they're resting... which makes no sense.

And fist fights need to be less lethal, every fist fight I've seen ends up with somebody dying.

And dwarves need to be able to call off their aggression with another dwarf after a time.

I'd also like to see some kind of Resolve thing that kicks in when there's all kinds of trouble going on in the fortress which improves happiness or reduces the chance of tantrumming. Everything is going to hell, they should get down to fixing stuff not all go mad and kill each other.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 05:32:00 pm »

Are you playing with an up-to-date version? A lot of these sound like problems from older versions, although maybe they're not entirely fixed yet. Healing especially hasn't really been improved much, but rioting and lethal fistfights definitely aren't as big a problem anymore.

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 05:45:00 pm »

I'm running df_21_101_19d. I just had a fort go from 107 to 1 dwarf due to one endless riot. Every time a guard tried to arrest someone he got interrupted. Not one dwarf ever made it to a justice room. I just hope this one dwarf survives until some immigrants come, there's plenty of food. It was just insane. The justice clearly is not working.

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 05:55:00 pm »

It seems like what happens is either the person  getting attacked by a fist fight won't rest until the person who attacked them is dead. Or it may be that someone interrupts the fist fight and won't rest until the person who started the fist fight is dead. or it might be that the person who started the fist fight hunts down the person who interrupted them. So the fights that are caused by someone interrupting fist fights may cause hostile status.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »

If you ever get a message "interrupted by <dwarf>", the <dwarf> is already an enemy of civilization, forever.  There seems to be an issue with fist fights and beating jobs that persists in causing trouble, but I have yet to find it.  I'll schedule some more violence and see what I can figure out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 06:13:00 pm »

I constantly get those messages. Every time anyone tries to arrest anyone or anyone starts a fight someone interrupts them and then someone tries to fight the one that interrupts them and then they get interrupted.