Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weregecko goblin  (Read 508 times)

Weregecko goblin
« on: August 27, 2013, 12:13:22 pm »

I just got the message that a weregecko has arrived, i'll fear the night from now on blah blah. It killed some of my yaks
and then after a while turned into a friendly goblin which started walking off the map, but i captured it in a cage trap.
Earlier, on the same map, i got a werehorse and it ran away, after turning into a human. When do they transform
into a were-creature, and do cage traps work on them whilst in their were-creature mode?
I'm asking because i have a lot of goblins in cages and i want something to kill them.
"The meme... it never stops..." 

-Goma

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weregecko goblin
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:00:19 pm »

Like any other were creature they transform during the full moon.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Werebeast
I'm prety sure were creatures are not trap avoid so go to town with cage traps.

As to the gobos most likely they will kill the weregecko rather quickly if you havent disarmed them and even if you have they may still kill him after he detransforms.    Caged prisoners are most valuable for their roll as live fire combat dummies, wich tends to kill them.   If you just want to kill them anyway there are easier ways than turnin a werebeast on em.   A simple pit several Z lvls high with either water(drowning) or magma (!Science!) at the bottem works wonders.   Piting them into an enclosed space that is under a raised drawbridge also works wonders with a simple lever pull.   Alternitively you can make a very deep pit and watch them explode on impact when you throw them in.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:34:13 pm »

Actually, they are trap avoid. A wereweasel child ran right through the trap corridor but changed back to normal halfway through and got butchered by a weapon trap. The normal forms (human, dwarf, elf, or goblin) are not trapavoid, so you might be confusing the transformed state vs the untransformed state.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:32:20 am »

possibly I normaly end up disposing of were creatures as they are too much of a bother to try to control.  I know I've cought them in cage trap coridors before but they probably detransformed on the trap if they are trap avoid in were form.   That and for some reason they are just really rare for me.  I get all sorts of FB's almost always a gaggle of vamps, but were beasts only show up every couple of forts due to luck of the draw.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:20 am »

I usually try to pit them up against some other captured baddies in hopes of creating more infected, and basically always being disappointed at the complete inability to do anything against common unarmed goblins. Even after they showed up and dismembered a few random woodcutters.

I would suggest just using it to along with anything else you catch to train up some marksdwarves. Live training works wonders, and were-beasts can usually dodge a bit at the very least.

I have a Were-lizard in my current fort, but I'm going to try and use it to infect some of the Cave Trolls I have been breeding, if that can even happen.