Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop Cap and Migrants  (Read 442 times)

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop Cap and Migrants
« on: August 26, 2013, 08:34:52 pm »

Ok, I'm very experienced with DF and I set my Pop Cap to 75. Got the first two waves of  30ish migrants then, got the third wave to go to exactly 75. A forth wave arrived and boosted me up to 92 and even a fifth wave that brought me up to 116, Also I set my child ratio to 1:75 and have 29 children, why?!?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:43:08 pm by MrGhost077 »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Cap and Migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:10:48 am »

because you don't understand how the pop_cap and child_cap work

unless you use dfhack to force a check on the pop_cap, you'll get a whole year worth of migrants, possibly boosting you over the cap, though not as much as when the cap would have been 300 or something (allegedly). It's a soft cap, not a hard cap. The check is made upon the leaving of the dwarven caravan.

The child cap only affects babies born in your fort and only stops new pregnancies. So, migrant children ignore the child cap and existing pregnancies are carried to term regardless of the settings. When that's done though, no new children (except as migrants)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:15:08 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:42:54 am »

pop_cap is set when the liason leaves your map. If the liason dies to an ambush you need to wait a year and you'll get waves of migrants until... or use dfhack to enforce the limit: 'fix/population-cap'

child_cap: 1:75 means max 1 child OR 75% percent of your adult population. So those 29 children are perfectly normal...

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:33:35 am »

Child cap is set to minimum of the two numbers.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

MrGhost077

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 12:31:44 pm »

Thanks guys for your help!