Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Personal Bedroom and workshop?  (Read 2755 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Personal Bedroom and workshop?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »

Do note, however, that if you have a workshop assigned to a specific dwarf, you must ensure that it is always 100% filled with jobs or work order jobs may be added to it (without regard to the labors enabled on the workshop's "owner").

For example, if you give your legendary weaponsmith his own magma forge, the manager will still automatically attempt to assign armor/furniture/crafting jobs to it (which, if added, will likely never be completed).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:36:44 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:55 pm »

Build Pillars everywhere. Have all your non-crafting builder masons assigned to architecture and constantly build pillars. Remove them if they are not masterfully crafted, repeat. Eventually you'll have all these fantastic pieces of architecture your dwarves will constantly admire. You can also "carpet" a room with floor grates for extra value.

I also construct roads down your pathways inside your fortress. The roads can be admired as well.

Dwarves also want to be happy in their work, so having a society of dedicated haulers is senseless. Make a community workshop for these tasks and then make a dedicated workshop for your special goods. A dedicated home/workshop would be perfect for your master crafters.

Not sure if the economy is still enabled but it used to be that dwarves liked shopping and buying things, so if a dwarf only does hauling they don't get paid much. Adding small pool crafting jobs allows untrained dwarf haulers to earn extra money.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 05:58:42 pm »

Build Pillars everywhere. Have all your non-crafting builder masons assigned to architecture and constantly build pillars. Remove them if they are not masterfully crafted, repeat. Eventually you'll have all these fantastic pieces of architecture your dwarves will constantly admire. You can also "carpet" a room with floor grates for extra value.

I also construct roads down your pathways inside your fortress. The roads can be admired as well.

Dwarves also want to be happy in their work, so having a society of dedicated haulers is senseless. Make a community workshop for these tasks and then make a dedicated workshop for your special goods. A dedicated home/workshop would be perfect for your master crafters.

Not sure if the economy is still enabled but it used to be that dwarves liked shopping and buying things, so if a dwarf only does hauling they don't get paid much. Adding small pool crafting jobs allows untrained dwarf haulers to earn extra money.

Economy's been disabled since 31.01, but if someone's still playing 40d or earlier version, that part of advice would be good. Everything else works in current version, though dwarves seem to be a lot slower at noticing things than they used to be.

DethBrand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 05:00:05 am »

I've experimented with this a little bit, but I'm not that good at this game so I was never really able to get efficient minecart routes going, but I like to set up a single small public crafting area for general goods or things where quality doesn't matter, but any time I end up getting someone with legendary skills I try to set up their own houses which normally have a bedroom above their workshop area and it has worked out well for me so far. I don't normally try to isolate my dwarves tho since talking with friends & family give them happy thoughts, but I do try to give them a decent sized apartment over their workshop(s) to add lower quality objects made from materials they like as well as a dining area with their own food/drink stockpiles so they are more likely to go upstairs to eat or drink or chill on a break then all the way to the main dining hall. The only problem I really have is keeping random hauler dwarves out of those food stockpiles. =/ But I guess if it means they get back to work faster as well it's all good.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

Off topic,
I like that boom for the boom god quote thing.
My freinds call that disease (aspergers) they call it Ass burgers.

I know it's thoroughly off-topic, but autism isn't a disease.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:01 am »

Off topic,
I like that boom for the boom god quote thing.
My freinds call that disease (aspergers) they call it Ass burgers.

I know it's thoroughly off-topic, but autism isn't a disease.

And it's not nice to say it like 'ass burgers' either! >:(
Pages: 1 [2]