Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too many @#$@ dorfs  (Read 1618 times)

PetWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many @#$@ dorfs
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »

The vampire will repeatedly get elected mayor because they're very old and have acquired many social skills over the years. One strategy I've used for dealing with a vampire is usually to make it my baron, so that I only have one noble making mandates.

I typically assign the vampire to a burrow that encompasses its quarters; it won't take jobs outside its burrow, and drinking is considered a "job", so my other dwarves are safe - unless I issue an alert to cause all civilians to run to my "Hide" burrow. That overrides other burrows, freeing the vampire. I lock the door to its quarters when I do that, so that it remains stuck, but other dwarves are temporarily unable to access it. Occasionally mistakes happen - I forget to lock the door and a dwarf dies. It's usually not the end of the fort.

With the burrows set up, I use it for population control. This is a simple matter of placing beds with very small bedrooms inside the baron's burrow and assigning them to children or troublemakers. They sleep, my baron feeds. I like to keep my nobles happy.

Giving it something useful to do, like crafting or pulling levers, is optional, though as others have noted it can't be relied on to pull levers in an emergency. I have been in the position of having a vampire who had done nothing useful in years be "On Break" at the exact moment when I needed him to pull a lever. !!Fun!! ensued, and my fortress crumbled to its end.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 03:40:56 pm »

Greaves make nice leg armor but they don't do anything for junk exposure.
How come?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 04:38:23 pm »

Because greaves are little metal plates you strap to your legs to prevent de-legging.

No junk coverage, sadly.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:19 pm »

They're almost identical to leggings.

Greaves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leggings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What about those raws make leggings cover the crotch, but not greaves?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »

Wolverine's trick of burrow manipulation has done two awesome things for me. First, it allows me to deal with both vampires (yes, another one came in the second wave of, like, fifty migrants), and it pushed me further into the wonderful world of burrow assignment and I'm pretty sure that'll be wonderfully useful. So, thanks. :)

Overpopulation isn't as big a deal as I thought it might be. I just don't like screwing around with all of those labor prefs and examining every single migrant that shows up.

The latest migrant wave arrived at a very poor time... there's a minotaur storming my fortress and I have the drawbridge up, so they're all gonna die. I'm working up a memorial hall and slabs as I type, just to shut down ghosts before they show up. And to give my dorfs more to do.

I might just stay underground from here on out. It seems simpler, now that I have my farms up and running and a decently large population. Never worrying about migrants (except to memorialize them as they die horribly) will simplify my life to no end.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 01:16:35 am »

Because greaves are little metal plates you strap to your legs to prevent de-legging.

No junk coverage, sadly.

maybe you're talking about a slightly older version of DF, I think this was fixed at some point.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:27:59 am »

No junk coverage, sadly.

maybe you're talking about a slightly older version of DF, I think this was fixed at some point.

It's possible that's been changed.  I haven't tried using greaves for that purpose in a long time.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

xoseph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:52 am »

Remember to make pots (they're smaller than barrels and hold more) so you have something to put food and drink in; you can brew 100 urists of dwarven wine if you have only two more barrels to put it in. (What's more, you can make the pots out of rock if you've got unneeded stone lying around, and then if you wind up with a surplus of food and want to get stuff like caged (tame grizzly bears) from the elves you can actually trade them the food in the rock pots without them spazzing about deforestation.)

Uristian physics

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:52 pm »

Wow, I just realized reading that quotation that I wrote "can" where I meant to write "can't" in that sentence: You can't brew 100 urists of drink with only a couple more barrels to put it in.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 [2]