Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to stop traders?  (Read 660 times)

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to stop traders?
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:44:40 am »

Hey, I have a beginner question.

How do I stop traders from arriving? I don't need to trade and I don't need them to stay on the map if my fortress is closed just to be killed by invaders. Creating big piles of stuff to be picked up.

I use Lazy new pack newest version and I don't mind using dfhack if that can help.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop traders?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:44 am »

don't build a trade depot? I think that works, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, go to the raws in the save file, go to the entity raws and remove the active season (spring for elf, summer for human), though if you remove it from dwarf too, there may be unforseen consequences. Unforseen because I really don't know if it has other effects.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:16 am »

don't build a trade depot? I think that works, but I'm not sure. Otherwise, go to the raws in the save file, go to the entity raws and remove the active season (spring for elf, summer for human), though if you remove it from dwarf too, there may be unforseen consequences. Unforseen because I really don't know if it has other effects.

I removed my trade depot, but a lot of traders still arrive and when they can't get in (Closed gate and no trade depot) they go insane if not killed before. So that does not work. Will consider removing the seasons.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:36 am »

Try digging 1x1 holes (or building 1x1 walls) around the edge of your map (the farthest you can go will be fine, you shouldn't need to use the bridges trick), ensuring that there is a 2x1 (E & W edges) or 1x2 (N & S edges) gap between them.

AIUI, doing this should render your entire map "Not Wagon Accessible", so you should get a message each applicable season about your fort being bypassed, even by the Elves.

I suggest this because I believe it shouldn't prevent sieges & invasions.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:44:55 am »

it also just prevents wagons, not other merchants showing up.

removing the seasons works, guaranteed (remember to do it in the save raws, not the general ones) but if done wrong with the dwarf entity raws may stop liaison and migration, possibly other things too, and with the goblins may stop sieges and ambushes
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

The only way i know to completely prevent traders is to edit their active seasons out of the raws.

If a species has an active season and can reach your site, you'll get traders from them, at least on foot. You could build a depot somewhere inside your fort and shut it off (put it behind closed doors or a wall), and the traders will simply sit on the map border until time's up and then move off. This is at least less annoying than not building a depot at all, because that drives traders insane.

I think you could trick traders into showing up without ever trading - have a depot somewhere close to the edge, give it wagon-viable edge access but wall it off from everything else. For bonus points, have the wagon-accessible edge stretch isolated from the rest of the map as well (usually requires putting it between trees or messing with bridges). This way, traders will show up, go to the depot, hang around there for a month and then pack up and leave, without significant risk from goblins and without actual trade opportunities. Liaisons and diplomats would still look for a way into the fortress proper.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:42:54 pm »

Liaisons and diplomats usually come separate from the caravans, though. Very rarely do I see them actually spawn and follow the caravans.

Might be different for someone else, but that's how they usually end up for me.