Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad training  (Read 284 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Squad training
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:07:00 pm »

As I squirm my way closer toward a functioning fortress I find that I can no longer gloss over some issues.  Today's example is the following line from the wiki on squad scheduling:

"Orders have a soldier-based order criteria that lists how many soldiers in the squad will follow the order at once. Using the secondary up/down keys you can choose how many soldiers must be in a squad the order applies; by default this number is ten"

In forums I have seen both opinions on this; that you set it low so they will train even if only a few are available AND that you leave it at 10.  Given that passage from the wiki, I lean towards setting it low.

How much off-duty time is reasonable to be scheduled?  One month a year?  Two? 

Are there any opinions out there on the profit in glamming up the barracks?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Squad training
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:34:36 pm »

Honestly, military training is still rather poorly understood by most players, and I wouldn't rely on every wiki page to be accurate.  Information is spread across so many pages that even if someone tries to fix them, a few will inevitably be missed.

It gets more complicated because some players are using vanilla DF and some are using DF+DFHack which changes how squads train, causing more sparring.  The "Lazy Newb Pack" includes DFHack, so many players are using this and may not even be aware of it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz