Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please sign a petition opposing the USA's latest scheme to censor free speech  (Read 2016 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

The Obama administration has flip-flopped and is now trying to revive one of the most heinous provisions of SOPA. Please sign a petition telling them that that won't fly:

http://act.demandprogress.org/act/streaming/%3Freferring_akid%3Da9109269.1991293.kqBvlw%26source%3Dauto-e
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Linked Site
As was pointed out last time they tried this, many artists depend on uploading YouTube covers to jumpstart their careers (including the young Justin Beiber...), and many others enjoy streaming creative interpretations of existing songs on their own websites or blogs. This proposal would make both subject to felony prosecution.

Dude, if new artists truly "depend on YouTube to jumpstart their careers", then they could just give permission to people to make covers of their songs on YouTube. I'm pretty sure that's a legal thing that wouldn't be too difficult to do (ala. Creative Commons).

Also, if you use too much bold text, it ceases to mean anything :|
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

That's, uh. Backwards from what that quote's saying. It's saying that artists apparently get their start doing covers of other people's songs and uploading. Which would apparently be illegal if the proposal went into effect.

And yeah. That would... that would screw over quite a lot of stuff. Prison time for something like, I'unno, stuff like this is ludicrous on the face of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's, uh. Backwards from what that quote's saying. It's saying that artists apparently get their start doing covers of other people's songs and uploading. Which would apparently be illegal if the proposal went into effect.

And yeah. That would... that would screw over quite a lot of stuff. Prison time for something like, I'unno, stuff like this is ludicrous on the face of it.

Okay, that would make a bit more sense. I don't disagree with the idea but this website hurts my eyes. D:

And it's too late for me to be making internet posts D:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:49:14 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile

I didn't see an over-abudance of bold text or otherwise eye-hurting things on the linked page. Anyway...

Here's SOPA § 201, which is the part of SOPA supposedly under consideration (in spirit at least), if you want to read it.

According to the techdirt article linked to from the demandprogress page, it's just an idea mentioned in part of a document released by the Commerce department, so I'm not panicking yet. I imagine it will be as successful as all the other attempts.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile

I find Irony in SOPA

This is paraphrased

'No more free speech!'

'Well begging for free speech to be gone is free speech'

And that i what I think in talky form

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd sign it but I don't want DemandProgress spamming my inbox again like they did with the last two emails.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a special email address for signing stuff like this.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm too lazy for that. I just make a new email once the old one gets full up on spam. I must have like seven Amazon.com accounts as a result.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile

I just use my old Hotmail that I never check anymore.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you use G-mail, you can add a tag to your e-mail address, or add random periods in your address, and then set up a filter (using the To: ) option. So, for example, do myemail+spammy@gmail.com or my.e.mail@gmail.com and then you can filter out anything sent to that e-mail address to a different folder or automatically delete. It's pretty neat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

If you use G-mail, you can add a tag to your e-mail address, or add random periods in your address, and then set up a filter (using the To: ) option. So, for example, do myemail+spammy@gmail.com or my.e.mail@gmail.com and then you can filter out anything sent to that e-mail address to a different folder or automatically delete. It's pretty neat.

Wow, did not know about that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This seems impossible to enforce.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

This seems impossible to enforce.
Just because it's impossible to enforce doesn't mean a government won't pass it (Just take a look at prohibition). It's better to cut things off before they have a chance to get rolling, because there is no guarantee of when/if a government will realize what they are doing is unenforceable.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Word of advise, that organization likes to send tons of emails solicitating funds, other than that they are ok.