Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't add tasks to smelter  (Read 1021 times)

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't add tasks to smelter
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:56:42 pm »

Hi!

I have a lot of charcoal, 3 furnace operators and lots of tetrahedrite. I was also smelting it into cooper/silver to build some weapons and armor for my squads (no iron ores yet).

I dont know when it happened but now, all the tasks of the smelter are red and i can not not add anything. I think i have all the prerequisites, could i be missing something?

thx!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Can't add tasks to smelter
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:10 am »

Have you started using burrows?

Did you somehow block pathing (locked doors, open/closed floodgates & bridges, new wall construction)?

Have you forbidden ores/stones/reagents or blocked their use from the 'z' screen?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:51 am »

to expand and explain on the burrow thing a bit: If your smelter is in a burrow that does not include all the materials required for a job, it will list the job as impossible. It's a minor bug, I guess. The burrow doesn't have to have anyone assigned or active in any way, it just needs to be. If you don't want to remove the burrow, the work-around is to set the jobs through the manager, though this will distribute the jobs to all smelters, which may not be what you want.

Another possibility is that you have (accidentally?) set stockpiles to give to x or the workshop to take from x, which can cause issues when the workshops don't check other stockpiles anymore for materials.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:41:38 am »

I find the "Give to Workshop" setting is the most confusing and most common source of this kind of issues.

To expang on Garath's post a bit, if you set a stone/ores stockpile to "give to" the smelter(s) then you also need your bars/charcoal stockpile to "give to" as well.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »

If burrows aren't the problem, try queuing up the jobs from the manager.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:33 pm »

Yeah... the burrow was the problem. I expanded my "mineral" stockpile outside the burrow and all the charcoal was stored there.

Thanks a lot!