Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't do anything??  (Read 303 times)

JustAVoice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't do anything??
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:10:39 pm »

So the Hunters have crossbows and arrows and stuff to hunt but they sit around drinking my booze. The Animal Trainers won't do shit. The farmers wont plant stuff and dorfs in strange moods keep taking over my workshops and making weird shit. What do I do I'm dying here!!??

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't do anything??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »

An animal trainer needs a training zone to work.
Make sure your farm plots are being planted with a type of seed that you have.
Build at least two of every workshop if you want to be able to produce things while a strange mood is happening.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:46:46 pm »

This is rudimentary, so forgive me if I'm completely off track, but are you managing their labor settings? If not then most of them won't do anything because they're not permitted to. (Relatedly, if you happen to use DFHack the newer versions have a built-in Dwarf-Therapist-like menu accessible by hitting the "l" key when on the units menu. If you're using niether DFHack nor Dwarf Therapist I highly recommend Dwarf Therapist to make managing labors on more than half a dozen dwarves easier.) Dwarves should come with the labors associated with their skills enabled, but since some of the profession names are generalized and therefore potentially misleading it pays to check out what the settings are.

Hunters may also not have anything interesting within reach to hunt. Farmers planting... is more complicated than you'd think, given the number of rules involved just in determining whether the ground can be planted on or which plants will grow in your embark even before you get to the fact that you need to manage the farm plots' crop assignments for all four seasons or the weird way the skills and labors are arranged. (I also recommend having your dwarves gather plants from outside, if the outside is safe, using the designation and the herbalist labor. It's a decent supplement/alternative to farms, at least until you become better at farming than at defending your dwarves from basic outside critters.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:48 am »

do you actually have anything for animal trainers to do? just having the labor doesn't mean they go out into the world and find animals to train and when they do they usually come back with tame vermin, not something useful.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.