Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hammerdwarf will not use hammer.  (Read 359 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammerdwarf will not use hammer.
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:53:50 pm »

Recently, a snatcher tried to steal a child, so I sent the military after it. The first dwarf to reach it was a hammerdwarf, who kicked it repeatedly instead of bashing it with his ≡silver war hammer≡, which he had equipped. This erratic behavior caused him to be punched three times. He did use the hammer eventually, but only once or twice. Although this behavior would not be fatal against a single snatcher, it would be against an ambush or a siege. How do I get my dwarves to use their weapons more?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

MeTekillot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerdwarf will not use hammer.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:45 am »

NPCs usually attack with the thing they are most likely to hit with and not necessarily the thing that is most likely to cause the most damage, in my experience.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:58:48 am »

Thanks for that tip. Why is a kick more likely to hit than a hammerstrike if the dwarf has more hammerdwarf skill than kicking skill?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:51 am »

Just luck of the draw basically, or RNG. Maybe the goblin was prone?

My swordsdwarves use their swords 99% of the time with the occasional other attack thrown in. The multiple attack options you get with swords probably plays into it.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:48:36 am »

play adventure mode sometime and you will see more of how the combat works than in fortress mode

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:41:10 am »

I play quite a bit of adventure mode. Although sometimes, enemies will kick/punch, mostly they will use their weapons.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:57 pm »

i was referring to the selection menu for your attacks :P