Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Couple questions concernning my rancor-esque room  (Read 1089 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couple questions concernning my rancor-esque room
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 02:49:00 pm »

I think the retractable bridge-drop-off idea will work very well except in large fight instances. For example, my first sacrifice to it will be all my cows, horses, and donkeys, in my mass genocide of all non dog or cat animals. I guess in that situation, ill just build their cages while im still building the rest of the den for the hydra while its still caged.

Also, to the watery approach; i didn't want it to be cleaned up  :)

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

Not sure how well this would work but..how about this?

Hydra area is the = sign, the | is a retractible bridge built over a channel in the pit..the @ is the release spot

======|@@@@@
======|@@@@@
======|@@@@@
======|@@@@@

Now its simple...connect the retracting bridge to a level...when you arn't feeding the hydra make sure its on the hydra side and retract the bridge so it has no-where to go.

When ready to feed..stick cages on the @ side..hook them all up to a lever.  Get your dwarves out of there, lock it up however you like, and pull the lever and bridge the bridgeback out..then wait for the fun.

Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

The only problem with that idea is that a free walking hydra will scare the hell out of any dwarf who comes that close, and they'll never get the cage set up, letalone the mechanisms to open them  :(
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

I'm promising you, anything that requires repeated linking of levers is just going to be annoying on the long run... I tried it myself, gave up, and then used the pit method. I mean, you have to build the cage, wait for it to be built, link it up with a lever, wait for it to be linked, have the lever pulled... and this for every single goblin you're going to feed to the hydra?

Just use my method... or else!

Vertical view:

code:

C @  ó    @´@´@´
wwww      wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwbbbbbbwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
w H       wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

w - wall
b - bridge
H - hydra
ó - lever connected to bridge
C - cage with gob to be tossed
@ - dwarf doing the tossing
@´@´@´ - guards standing by or sparring in barracks

That way you can toss arbitrarily many horses or so on the bridge before opening it, or one goblin. If you want to put several goblins on it, use a second bridge to make an airlock system so that the waiting gobbos don't scare your dwarves away.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG>

I've tried that, it still escaped.</STRONG>

That's nonsense. Just plunk the cage directly next to it and the goblin doesn't even get a chance to touch land. Just falls inside the pit immediately. I've done this with dozens of gobbos and kobolds for an execution chamber and even Dwarf children can release them with no problems.

And you can't sell goblins because of the release bug that I'm not sure if it's fixed or not.

And dreiche is right. Anything using even just one lever to do repeated tasks is going to get very, very annoying for the end user after say... the second time.

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: umiman ]

Pages: 1 [2]