Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do volcanoes exist?  (Read 962 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do volcanoes exist?
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:44:08 am »

What is their natural habitat?
Can they pop up in a glacier, as stupid as it sounds?

Im kinda bored with normal embark sites, and i freaking hate digging into the magma sea every time to avoid "NEED MOAR COAL PLZ" spam as it kinda kills my fps due to pathing.

I like glaciers for their ability to be made of ice, so the perfect combo for me would be an Icecano... question is, do they exist?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
Re: Where do volcanoes exist?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:15 am »

Volcano in glacier biome? Yes. Volcano that spews ice? Nope. Just muck about in advanced generation to get more volcanos and you'll get one eventually.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53:59 am »

In the advanced world gen, you can increase the number of volcanoes.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Advanced_World_Generation#Minimum_Volcano_Number

You can also mess with volcanism to change the distribution of volcanoes, but that starts making things more complicated.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:22:35 am »

Volcanoes can be almost anywhere, it shows up more often among or near mountains, I've found,. But you'd have to jack the frequency up like above mentioned to get enough of them to play around with without regenning too often.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:58 am »

"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 04:20:07 am »

Note that if you edit the world_gen.txt file directly, you can set VOLCANO_MIN (since this is actually VOLCANO_MAX too) to an arbitrarily high number, though I don't usually go past 800 on a Large Map (that usually nets me a couple worth embarking on).