Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: which maps have elephants?  (Read 1919 times)

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
which maps have elephants?
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:33:00 pm »

If it's on the wiki, I think I've missed it. Is there a way to pick a map which -doesn't- have elephants?

The elephants are ridiculous. On my current game, they completely destroy any caravan that tries to trade with me. I'm more isolated than ever before, and the wilderness strength is supposed to be "calm."

Tim

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: which maps have elephants?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:00 pm »

Try glacier or scorching  :D both comes with their own problems, but on the plus side none of the problems are elephants

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:48:00 pm »

I stay away from "Tropical" biomes. I tend to go with something Temperate or Cold climate.

That keeps me away from the dreaded ELEPHANTS.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:57:00 pm »

just dig out some channels to keep elephants off your caravan.  

a few elephant traps, and you'll be swimming in meat, leather, fat, and bone.  i've built entire forts on the elephant industry.

prklts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

Well, I'm on a freezing map now.

I'm just a poor n00b. You'd think the elephants would sense that and cut me a break. Hmm. Maybe part of the game is being driven to safer but less desirable locations for settling.

If I ever got this fortress up and running (i.e. stable, a few years into it, with magma industries operational), it'd be nice to have the option to launch a new, better-equipped expedition into the warm zones. This new one would allow more than 7 dwarves and better starting equipment (i.e. more than 200 free points to spend).

Tim

P.S. Don't sweat it on implementation of -that- feature, Toady. I'm light years away from figuring this game out well enough to succeed in any climate. Hehe.

[ April 16, 2007: Message edited by: prklts ]

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

Warm or higher temperatures have elephants.  Temperate or lower temperatures don't, so far as I understand.

Some people, disappointed in the lack of elephants on colder maps have modded in mammoths though, and you can have them if you like.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

My worst experience with elephants was when a group of 10 decided they wanted to live underground. and nothing could stop them. (I had 60 dwarves with good armor,weapons and all swarm them.... I lost all but 4 to kill the elephants.)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Warm or higher temperatures have elephants.  Temperate or lower temperatures don't, so far as I understand.

Some people, disappointed in the lack of elephants on colder maps have modded in mammoths though, and you can have them if you like.</STRONG>

It is a really common misconception, but temperature and animals have nothing to do with one another. Only the biome matters. In the elephant's case, that means it has to be tropical. More specifically, tropical forests of all types or tropical shrubland.

If you're wondering where animal X will show up, look in the raw/objects folder and find the appropriate text document, and locate you're animal. Somewhere there should be a line or two that says something about the biome- that would be where the animal shows up. For example, in creature_large_tropical, under [CREATURE:ELEPHANT] you should find:

code:
[BIOME_SAVANNA_TROPICAL]
[BIOME_GRASSLAND_TROPICAL]

Edit: Except that's what it says under [CREAURE:HIPPO] and I'm retarded. It really should say:

code:
[BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
[BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]

[ April 16, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 09:55:00 pm »

Animal Region Chart

theres probably some mistakes in it, and temperate conifer is missing(should be identical to temperate broadleaf though), but useful enough for a quick glance at what your map can get     :)

i need to mark large predators though to make it more useful. eg, i dont think temperate marshes and swamps get any animals at all on benign normal maps(get unicorns on good and grimelings on evil)
due to alligators and crocs being large predators, since they dont show up on benign maps

Edit: its been updated to add that

[ April 28, 2007: Message edited by: Chariot ]

Rutherford

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

Chariot,

Is there any reason you haven't added the chart to the wiki?

It's very nice.

ason Bell

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:43:00 pm »

no real reason no, just havent bothered to. if someone wants to put it up there they are welcome to though

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

You can mod out elephants entirely by restricting their [BIOME_XX] settings to something very, very specific. And (AFAIK) you wouldn't need to generate a new world for this to take effect.

Of course, for real sadism, [BIOME_ANY] added to your elephant RAWs...  :D

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf