Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Optimal way to set up a danger room?  (Read 553 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Optimal way to set up a danger room?
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »

I've been wanting to make a danger room, and I got almost everything I need. My question is:

How many wooden training spears are required per trap to maximize training? Is simply 1 fine or does more help?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Optimal way to set up a danger room?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:27:50 pm »

As many as you can cram in, really, each of them in same tile gets tested at same time. 1's enough for slow training or if you're trying to conserve training spear to have larger room ( it helps with dodging ).

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »

One piece of advice: don't put your masterwork training spears in the danger room. They are too "effective". Use only low quality weapons.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »

One piece of advice: don't put your masterwork training spears in the danger room. They are too "effective". Use only low quality weapons.

Haven't managed to actually hurt any soldiers with even masterwork training spears. Well, really, the few danger rooms I bother to make are mostly masterworks and nobody's gotten hurt from it. Civilians might get poked a bit, though, but it won't kill them either as long as they have everything covered.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »

Use only low quality weapons.
Low-quality mechanisms too.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:43:36 pm »

Just realized a good chunk of the wooden spears are masterwork... Ooooooh boy...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:42 pm »

It's not going to make a difference during the lifetime of one fort.

Soldiers and civilians with a full set of clothing (make sure you have enough headwear to go around...) aren't affected by training spears. Any pets, babies, or nudists in the danger room might have a reduced risk of a particular spear attack being lethal, but the nature of a danger room means they'll be subject to a lot of spear attacks.

It might or might not make a difference in general -- you'd need to spike a lot of unarmoured creatures to determine how much of an effect the quality of danger room components has.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:00 pm »

I once had a legendary adamantine clad soldier fall asleep and be impaled to death by wooden training spears.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:39 pm »

I once had a legendary adamantine clad soldier fall asleep and be impaled to death by wooden training spears.

I think being unconscious has something to do with it

Jebster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:58:55 am »

In my last fortress i had a 3x3 danger room with each spike trap using 2 wooden training spears (varying quality, all under masterwork). I was using the danger room to train my first squad of 5 dwarves all fully equipped with iron armour and pig tail cloaks.

Within about 2 months one of my dwarves took a wooden training spear through the brain causing instant death.

Don't know if he was doing anything particular wrong, but he wasn't unconscious or otherwise incapacitated.

So be careful with danger rooms...