Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves dying of thirst in the booze stockpile  (Read 1010 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves dying of thirst in the booze stockpile
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »

The title pretty much says it.  I have about 150 dwarves, and about 3000 booze, yet I seem to be losing more and more dwarves to thirst, once they get to the booze stockpile.

I've also had a few randomly keel over and die recently.

There is no FB syndrome going on.

Any ideas?

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves dying of thirst in the booze stockpile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:47:45 pm »

Maybe they are tired of the same old booze and are not drinking at all

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:50:12 pm »

Do you have burrows set up or any alerts?
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:19 am »

You may have accidentally forbidden it all.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:17 am »

3000 booze sounds like it should be enough, but just to make sure check that you have enough containers (barrels or pots) to supply your dwarves.  Only one dwarf at a time can drink from a container.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:33:00 am »

Verify that food hauling in 'o'rder menu are allowed, disabling that sometimes makes dwarves unable to eat or drink.

Doesn't seems like anything else could cause it with accessible stockpile and plenty of barrels.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:03:03 am »

Sometimes a dwarf will pick up a barrel from the drink stockpile, drink from it and then perhaps even wander off still holding the barrel. But at some point, usually right after drinking, he'll choose a stockpile to put the barrel back into. Even if he isn't set to haul furniture or food. And if the stockpile he chose is outside of his burrow, he'll spam you with "could not reach destination" messages, until he drops dead of thirst, you forbid the barrel, you remove the burrow designation, or delete the stockpile he's trying to use.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:01:15 am »

This. I've lost an entire embark to the purple scourge. Mostly because I never bothered planting anything else, and they drank dwarven wine until they preferred water. And shortly after chose to drink nothing. I didn't notice until the first casualty, by then it was too late.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 11:22:17 am »

This. I've lost an entire embark to the purple scourge. Mostly because I never bothered planting anything else, and they drank dwarven wine until they preferred water. And shortly after chose to drink nothing. I didn't notice until the first casualty, by then it was too late.

Haven't had this happen to me since 31.xx. My dwarves are pretty okay drinking dwarven wine for 20 or 30 years currently with nothing else, most of them aren't happy to have same old booze, though, and none lacking alcohol thoughts so they're not drinking water.

I think it did happened back in 40d, though.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »

Haven't had this happen to me since 31.xx. My dwarves are pretty okay drinking dwarven wine for 20 or 30 years currently with nothing else, most of them aren't happy to have same old booze, though, and none lacking alcohol thoughts so they're not drinking water.

I think it did happened back in 40d, though.
I should have mentioned it was in 31.25. It was also a small fort, maybe 20 dwarves.

Its a really easy problem to diagnose though, its listed in the dwarves' thoughts.