Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Experiments with Thermonuclear Catsplosion  (Read 1598 times)

Nezumi-chan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Experiments with Thermonuclear Catsplosion
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:26:16 am »

I decided to test it a bit in the current version. I cranked cat body temperature up to the maximum of 65535 Degrees Urist, then did some experiments in the Arena. I noticed that under current temperature rules, a cat simply instantly melts into a cloud of superheated smoke at that temperature, and under this system, it takes multiple cats to obliterate even an aardvark. My curiosity piqued, I decided to see how many cats you needed to place in the same square as a dwarf before they were disintegrated. After much experimentation, the number appears to be 44 -- though the dwarf didn't disintegrate until shortly after the smoke had cleared. The number necessary to disintegrate it while the smoke cloud was still active was 45 cats.

What I'm wondering now is if you could arrange the cats differently or construct a specialized chamber that could allow you to reduce the necessary number of cats for annihilation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:39:38 am by Nezumi-chan »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Experiments with Thermonuclear Catsplosion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:05:20 am »

Oh, i laughed pretty hard about this one - how many thermonuclear cats does it take to melt an aardvark?

Messing around a bit in the arena, i think superheated creatures generally just melt themselves with very little further effects now. The old [SEVERONBREAKS] doesn't seem to do anything of note (or perhaps tissues simply melt too fast to explode) and obscenely huge creatures don't make an obscenely huge cloud - i created hypergolic sperm whales (i.e. set the basic sperm whale template to a temperature of 65K °U, which also affects giant sperm whales), and while it produced nice smoke clouds, a dwarf could survive starting out in the same spot as one of these things.

A mummy made from such creatures will quickly develop molten tissues all over but won't melt away, so you can use one of those to boil off a large body of water; at least for this application, there's no notable difference between a cavy and a giant sperm whale...

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:16 am »

You want lethal? I once had a stockpile full of lead bars. Roughly 50 or so in total. I had a tamed dragon, near the stockpile, and i had 20 or so dwarves in the stockpile also. One of the dwarves noticed a goblin thief, only for the dragon to let out a burst of fire. The whole room was full of boiling lead bars that killed every living thing in the room. I shit you not, it was the most lethal thing ive ever seen. Try that sometime, every dwarf died in less than 10 ticks  :o

Nezumi-chan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:36:29 pm »

Oh, i laughed pretty hard about this one - how many thermonuclear cats does it take to melt an aardvark?

I managed it with 4, but I have to provide 2 provisos:

a) I didn't test thoroughly to see if that was the minimum required.

b) I used a different methodology from the dwarf testing, placing a cat in each horizontally and vertically adjacent space to the aardvark, so that might have affected the outcomes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 01:32:33 pm »

You want lethal? I once had a stockpile full of lead bars. Roughly 50 or so in total. I had a tamed dragon, near the stockpile, and i had 20 or so dwarves in the stockpile also. One of the dwarves noticed a goblin thief, only for the dragon to let out a burst of fire. The whole room was full of boiling lead bars that killed every living thing in the room. I shit you not, it was the most lethal thing ive ever seen. Try that sometime, every dwarf died in less than 10 ticks  :o

So, what you are saying, is that we need to perform experiments with touchy combustible thermite mixtures instead of nuclear cats?

I may do this... I had the idea of having exploding eggs for awhile now. Basically, make the eggs be thermally stable underground, but only by a few urists. Once they go outside however, they explode into a gas cloud as they go straight to boiling. I had originally intended to give a syndrome reaction to exposure to the boiling egg vapors, but now I wonder about material reaction instead. Spawning thermonuclear bars of lead that then sublimate instantly into a deadly burning cloud sounds much more fun. I will do some homework. Modding isnt my thing, but maybe silliness like this will make it better for me.