Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to create grazing areas at higher Z-levels?  (Read 661 times)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is it possible to create grazing areas at higher Z-levels?
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:51:56 am »

I have a dwarfy project in mind, but I need a proof of concept question answered:

I want to build skyscraper grazing grounds. Something like this:

[___________________#__________]
                        ||
                        ||
                        ||
                        ||

With the big flat area containing grazing materials and a male and female of whatever animal I want up there.
The # is a hatch connected to a lever down at ground level. When I'm ready to slaughter some of the offspring, I designate it as a pasture and assign the animals to be killed to it so they sit on the hatch. I then pull the lever and let gravity do the butchering for me.
I could also hook it up to a pressure plate and use it to drop livestock on invaders.

If I could grow grazing material indoors, I could seal the sky-pasture off with a roof to protect the animals from flying foes.

Would this be possible by somehow moving dirt up to the structure? Or perhaps using muddied stone to grow fungus?
Also: How many Z levels high would this need to be to let gravity properly exlpode dropped animals and give them maximum killing power when dropping them on invaders?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:55:30 am by Pinstar »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to create grazing areas at higher Z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:03 am »

it's very dwarfy, since the only method I know to create pastures up in the air is to cast them with obsidian, since constructed floors don't grow stuff and there is no other way to get layer material
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:31:48 am »

it's very dwarfy, since the only method I know to create pastures up in the air is to cast them with obsidian, since constructed floors don't grow stuff and there is no other way to get layer material
Bucket brigade?

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:58 am »

Dang. Ah well.

Advanced fluids are beyond me at the moment, but it might be a project for later. I just picture a livestock vending machine.

What fluid level of magma would I need to turn it into a layer of muddied obsidian when pouring water onto it? 7/7? Or will less do?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:22:10 am »

Dang. Ah well.

Advanced fluids are beyond me at the moment, but it might be a project for later. I just picture a livestock vending machine.

What fluid level of magma would I need to turn it into a layer of muddied obsidian when pouring water onto it? 7/7? Or will less do?

Any amount mixes with any amount of water to make obsidian. Even 1/7 is enough, though evaporation makes it a bit unreliable sometimes. Pond zone need to be one z higher than surface of liquid for water to properly form and splatter against magma.

Then you'll have to pour water on it again for the mud :D

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:27 am »

instead of skyscraper it might be easier to strip around it with dig .... natural terrain can help with that
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:01 am »

Very dwarfy, good luck with the project!
Possible showstoppers: I don't think you'll be able to butcher those exploded animals, and you need a dwarf up there to put the animals on the hatch.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:16 am »

Very dwarfy, good luck with the project!
Possible showstoppers: I don't think you'll be able to butcher those exploded animals, and you need a dwarf up there to put the animals on the hatch.

I'm not sure about the drop-butchering, but I'm sure you don't necessarily need a dwarf to move animals to specific places. Just make sure the hatch is a meeting zone and unpasture animals that you want to move onto it. Should work as long as there's no other meeting zones they can reach. I use meeting zones to explore caverns by dropping a dog into them and letting it path to the new edges.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:03:48 am »

Tame animals have to be slaughtered at a butchery to be considered edible, and wild animals don't need to graze.

If you embark near a tower or in a reanimating biome, the tame animals you drop to their deaths can be raised and rekilled, as the animated corpses are not considered your own tame animals.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:42:00 am »

If you embark near a tower or in a reanimating biome, the tame animals you drop to their deaths can be raised and rekilled, as the animated corpses are not considered your own tame animals.
wasnt there a thread a while back exposing the merits of zombie pork for feeding a fortress?   Something about the zombification process making them bigger and therefore having more edibles. Although I seem to recall quite a few dwarves giveing their lives for that project.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:09:29 pm »

wasnt there a thread a while back exposing the merits of zombie pork for feeding a fortress?   Something about the zombification process making them bigger and therefore having more edibles. Although I seem to recall quite a few dwarves giveing their lives for that project.
If you looked at Sutremaine's signature, one of the quotes in it is actually taken from that very thread ;)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.