Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan wars  (Read 892 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan wars
« on: August 23, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

Caravan nation go to war when too many of their traders die on your fort space, right?  Does the method of their death accelerate getting to war?  Meaning direct military action vs. pulling the wrong lever by mistake and drowning them?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan wars
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:39 pm »

Wiki claims that killing traders will eventually lead to war, but I've murdered moutains of elves and never been sieged by them.  Except when embarking already at war.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:10:46 pm »

I've been attacked by humans after letting too many human traders die.  The next Summer though, a diplomat came looking for peace.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

I've been attacked by humans after letting too many human traders die.  The next Summer though, a diplomat came looking for peace.

How many traders was it, do you think?  It's been a couple of (real world) years since I tried to get the elves to fight me, but I might try again if I knew it wasn't like 20 (in game) years to start a war.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »

I suspect it might be lost profit threshold, elves doesn't usually bring as much high value material as humans would ( metal and all that ) and much less stuff without wagons. At least that'd explain all the complaints of elves not ambushing and humans springing with just a couple lost caravans.

Killing diplomats are much more reliable, but it takes modding or a utility to get elves to bring one.

And on method of death, nope. At least not that I could tell since I've gotten human siege from their caravan being ambushed by goblins. Haven't had any elf ambush-siege despite losing a LOT more elven caravans though.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:25:42 pm »

Wait, is it the death of the traders or the claiming of the stuff that upsets the other civs?  Wouldn't it be interesting if different races had different opinions of this - humans, stuff; elves, life; dwarfs, both, but less stuff needed to incite war than humans and more loss of life needed than elves.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »

If you want sieges and stuff from usually "allied" civs the best way is usually to kill their diplomats rather than muck up their caravans.  Since the humans set one in default every year it's not too hard.  And they will send more to make peace overtures - which you can accept to get peace, or ignore to continue the war.

If you want to start messing with the elves it would probably be easier to use something like dfhack to restart the elf diplomat wanting tree cutting agreements and murder him than worry about repeatedly messing with the elf traders "just enough" to trigger a fight.  You also then have less dropped trader junk to deal with as well.

I think even without wanting to I end up sieged by the humans a few times per fortress.  Usually a diplomat entering, and then a goblin siege showing up right afterwards and almost immediately killing him.  Your fortress gets the blame of course.  And things escalate from there.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:25:53 pm »

Kill the elf traders by flooding your trade depot area with magma (build the depot magma-proof, of course). No trader junk to deal with, although this will also indiscriminately destroy any nice animals they might bring, if you don't remember to trade with then first.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »

The only time I've ever gotten someone to declare war on me was when I killed their porcupine demon law giver, and they still asked for peace next summer. I've even built a tower out of elf soap without them attacking me.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.