Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two archers are still listed as "wrestlers"  (Read 296 times)

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two archers are still listed as "wrestlers"
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »

I created a squad with the "archer" uniform. There are a bunch of spare crossbows just lying around in my weapon stockpile, but when I look at the squad screen, the "Positions" tab says that it has 3/3 Marksdwarfs, 2/7 Wrestlers, and on the Equip screen, only three of them have green checkmarks next to "indiv choice, ranged".

How do I get the two slackers to pick up crossbows and start training?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Two archers are still listed as "wrestlers"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:26:11 pm »

By actually having crossbow as part of their uniform. Wrestlers are because they already have some fighting experience, not likely to try to pick up weapons when left at indiv choices. I find letting dwarves choose gives pretty poor performance compared to having specific allowed equipment.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:38:20 pm »

do you have any hunters as marksdwarfs? They still claim a second crossbow from their hunting job and one from the militia, so the available crossbows might be reserved for hunters in the militia. Don't have militia members with the hunting labor active. They can also be crossbows for other militia members, the ones with the checkmark, but they havn't picked it up yet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:53:53 pm »

Raw recruits always seem to show up as a wrestler until they gain the first level (novice) in whatever weapon you give them, then they are shown as a novice ***dwarf.

For uniforms I always change individual choice ranged to crossbows.. simply because I once found a dwarf willing using a bow and arrows leftover from slaughtered elves. Such a disgrace won't be allowed again. ;) Keep a handful of extra crossbows around just in case. Handy for both the uniform conflict Garath mentioned, and for an oh sh*t! last ditch defense.

Some people seem to have luck with archery ranges and others have issues. I always set up a row of 5 targets, designate each as a range and set for training. (Making sure you set the shooting direction properly is very important.) The dwarfs usually ignore the range when on active duty, but in the months they don't have train orders, they will go to the range to practice now and then when idling. I usualy set mine to 1 on and 2 off or every other month off to give them time to train their skill. Once that is good I give them longer training rotations to work on other skills such as armour user or dodger.