Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Total slacker dwarves  (Read 720 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Total slacker dwarves
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

In my current fortress, I've found myself with a few dwarves who, for one reason or another, never ever do any work. They don't start out that way, they just stop working one day for no reason I can discern. It's happened three times so far, to a trapper, a carpenter, and a mason. The first two I just drafted, but the mason is my first mason, and still my best by a huge margin, so I really don't want to do that to him. Anyone know any workarounds? I already tried briefly drafting and dismissing the mason; he went right back to sitting in the dining hall one screen away from a mason's workshop he should be working in.

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total slacker dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »

Could be a lack of alcohol. Do you have plenty available?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

It's definitely not alcohol. Quite aside from the fact that I've got over 600, I've seen her drinking.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 11:29:00 pm »

Do you have a manager?  If so, is there something weird about the workshop profile on the mason's shop?  Since drafting doesn't work, it isn't breaks or parties.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

I've got three mason's shops, with different profiles on each. There are two she could be working in. Plus, she's not doing anything else, either, or at least not that I've noticed - no hauling, no detailing, nothing. She does seem to have money coming from somewhere, though; I have no idea where.
Edit: Okay, I've seen her cleaning now, but she doesn't seem to want to do anything else.

[ April 14, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

Do you have shops?  Does she own one?  Spouse adding to the account?  C..  child working?

If none of those, she could be taking some kind of weird inviso job that pays her and disappears immediately or something, but I wouldn't think that's the case.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

Don't know if you noticed the edit - I caught her cleaning a couple times. As for the others, all 12 shops are owned by the bookkeeper or the broker, and she's one of my original dwarves, so she doesn't have a husband or any kids.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:58:00 am »

Doble check work preferences?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>Doble check work preferences?</STRONG>

Many, many, many times.
Saw her detailing stone, too, now. She may have just snapped out of it.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 05:37:00 am »

sounds familiar...

maybe it's related to them bugging their guild representatives as was suggested in my thread?

teabing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

She's likely an identity theif.  Check your other dwarves for unhappy thoughts about lost credit cards and/or social security numbers.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Yeah, like I posted to dreiche2's thread, I've had this problem too and it's always turned out to be them hanging around nobles to whine about there not being enough work (specifically, work related to their profession, time spent hauling or working on unrelated tasks doesn't help them any).

It's kind of misleading how they always show up as "No Job" when it happens. I think the task description for when they're upset about the amount of work should be "Being a Whiny Bugger".