Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Dwarves Migrate to Dangerous Locales  (Read 1227 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Why Dwarves Migrate to Dangerous Locales
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:44:10 am »

The phenomenon of dwarves migrating to dangerous forts, seemingly in contravention of common sense, has finally been explained: they are simply migrating to avoid "frame rate" issues.
The theory is that a fort with such a large amount of turnover will, of course, have a higher frame rate as there is less population slowing down time with their path finding needs.
Every such migrant knows that the overseer of their destination will pay special attention to their well being as the high skill they display in such critical jobs as animal caretaking and cheese making will make them an important part of any fort. Sadly they are often mistaken, and so they become another tragic entry in the list of dwarves dead to goblins or missing after a volcano breach.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Why Dwarves Migrate to Dangerous Locales
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:19:24 pm »

Meta. I approve.

Why can't we export dwarves (yet)?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:33 pm »

Meta. I approve.

I'm pretty sure that tags could be added here and there in the raws to lets you sell some dwarves away. Then again, I might be wrong

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:45:52 pm »

Meta. I approve.

I'm pretty sure that tags could be added here and there in the raws to lets you sell some dwarves away. Then again, I might be wrong

I think it'd involve having a pet dwarf caste to even start thinking about it and transformation. At least that's what I've seen in modding forum. Not too familiar with it myself :D

As to why not yet, it's cuz trading and civ migrations aren't fleshed out enough yet. Well, that's my guess.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 04:51:00 pm »

To export dwarves to other nations, knock them out in an area with a lot of cage traps, and they will be stuck. To export dwarves to HFS, burrow them near an adamantine vein and dig through it. To export dwarves to the Pets/Livestock list, mod the game. To export dwarves to the Others list, rain pets and relatives down a few dozen z-levels into the dining room and let them go beserk. To export children to the Dead/Missing list, have their parents run them over in minecarts. To export useless cheesemakers to the same list, put them under a bridge. To export legendary dwarves to the same list, put them next to a vampire.

Anywhere else you'd want them to go?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 05:36:27 pm »

The movie Conan was a Level 8 Miller before he changed professions in the Arena.

8)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 12:57:49 am »

More like a Pump Operator.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:10:06 am »

Ironically, I just posted
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129902.msg4496506#msg4496506
when I came across this topic again.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:30:41 am »

The movie Conan was a Level 8 Miller before he changed professions in the Arena.

8)

But wasn't this a hacked version, where he started training on his job at a much younger age than 12 (somewhere around nine or ten, i'd think, it's been a while since i watched the film)? Not to mention that he actually gained physical attributes from a civil profession other than mining or weaving. Heresy!

I think that dwarven migration is similar to the way pathfinding works in a fortress - dwarfs 'pathing into' a fortress will look for a route not blocked by other dwarfs (sitting in the fort already) and may pick very long 'avoidance' paths just to avoid collisions. In the case of migration, that can lead them to end up closer to another fort (and into the fort, should they recalculate their pathing) or on the dinner table of nearby wildlife/goblins/elves. An empty fort is easier to path into, and thus tends to 'catch' migrants that bounced off more populous forts in the vicinity.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:09:30 pm »

Easier answer.  When I studied the last time you saw an elven enclave in these areas?  QED
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:30:31 pm »

I think there's an even more obvious answer.

The Mountainhomes are occupied by DWARVES!

Therefore anywhere else, even somewhere with a population of Dwarves, is inherently safer since there isn't quite such a high concentration of Dwarven stupidity.