Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a rather odd starting site  (Read 478 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a rather odd starting site
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

I'm still somewhat new to this game, and I've pulled off a few regular old normal fortresses. I usually abandon them just due to running out of space for improvement, with all my ideas and projects completed. So, I've decided to try working with magma now, and I've found what seems to be the perfect starting site... (sorry, I don't know how to export location images, I'll just list the cool stuff)

Sand: Check.
Magma: Check.
Obsidian: Check.
Trees: Check. (heavily forested  :D)

Problems:

Saltwater
Aquifer

I haven't tried a game with an aquifer yet, and I'm especially worried with the salt water present. Will the aquifer be salty as well? Also, it's not actually just magma, it's an entire volcano in my starting location. Does the igneous rock of the volcano stay dry despite the aquifer?

PS: I haven't tried an aquifer yet, but I do know about the article on passing it in the wiki. I just need to know how magma/salt water reacts with it.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: a rather odd starting site
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:12:00 pm »

The aquifier is salt too.

There should be a not too tough "wall" of warm obsidian which penetrates the aquifier, so you shouldn't worry about grand projects.

Just hve enough drinks, and you're ok.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

hmmm, interesting. Thank you for that. However, I'm not actually on any ocean tile. I'm in a jungle island with a volcano in the middle. will that still have salt everywhere?
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

Breaching Aquifers with magma is rather easy, and saltwater aquifers react the same as any other; just make sure the channel has magma in it whenever you expand it, that way the magma moves in before the water does. if you dug out the aquifer first and then try to move magma into it, well, it's a long and painful process getting the whole thing full of magma.

It may be considered somewhat exploitive? I dunno, but you can currently filter saltwater with a pump; just set the pump up on the edge of the aquifer and pump water into a (dry) reservoir and it should be fresh.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

I'm willing to make minor exploits to keep my dwarfs alive   :roll:

Also, I had a surface volcano, so I've managed to dig straight through the obsidian cushion that doesn't get wet. I'm already past the aquifer and I have a magma forge and smelter running already.

My biggest concern was that my miner would be burned up when I mined the cave that the magma would flow through, but he got out ok. My biggest mistake was forgetting to get some fireproof grates or something up before, to keep flaming nasties out of my forges.