Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milling rock nuts  (Read 1751 times)

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Milling rock nuts
« on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

how can I get my dorf to grind up a rock nut to make paste? I'm using a quern. always with the stupid error message "can't find rock nut" or something like that. I've tried many different things with stockpiles like having only rock nuts right next to the quern, when that didn't work, I removed the stockpile and that didn't work. The crazy part is that I managed to get one ground up and pressed, but only one and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The wiki was pretty confusing on this. Thanks in advance!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Milling rock nuts
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »

There seems to be a bug:
If all your rock nuts are in a stockpile, the paste-producing job will not be available. You must have at least one rock nut outside of a stockpile to initiate the job. Once the job has been initiated, the dwarf performing it can use a rock nut from the stockpile to actually perform the milling.

found in the Quern entry:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Quern

I suggest to process quarry bush at the farmer's workshop while rock nuts are forbidden on your stockpile. The nuts from the processing would stay at the workshop. Now order milling rock nuts and a dwarf should grab a nut from the farmer's workshop.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:02:54 pm by Laurin »

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:36:12 am »

that sounds like it would work. Thanks!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 12:20:27 pm »

If you're producing rock nuts, it sounds like you've got your farming industry going.  The problem with rock nuts is the problem with all seeds, particularly if they're in barrels.  One farmer takes the entire bag/barrel off to go get a single nut, and everyone else stands around looking like morons.

Once I get up to the point of wanting to press nuts, I'll build a second (very small, 1x2) stockpile for rock nuts, and assign it directly to the quern.  Seems to be the only way to avoid the issue.  Takes a bit of micromanagement to keep the quarry bushes flowing too, though.  Not much can be done about that except just dealing with the lost nut spam.

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:38 pm »

yes, I've learned to turn barrels off in sees stockpiles (what the heck are you doing, Urist? oh, Im taking the 80 pound barrel to get a sunflower seed, duh!) but the dedicated stockpile sounds good. Micromanagement seems to be the modus operandi within my forts so shouldn't be too strenuous.
Elayne Boosler