Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fertile soil?  (Read 420 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fertile soil?
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:17 pm »

it COULD be my imagination ... are some soils less fertile?  or some biomes less harvest friendly? 

In my most recent embark I am having trouble getting to a comfortable stock of booze and plants (2 plots 3x5 6 seasons of plump helmet and 2 seasons of pigtails) I'm at around 1.5 years and I've had to add a temporary outdoor plot with prickle berry ... seems my embark has mostly those for gathering
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: fertile soil?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:15:00 pm »

not as far as I know
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:46 pm »

Currently no, anything with soil tag will grow things equally well, same for muddied tiles. I believe wetness/rainfall might affect how often plants and trees crops up for surface soil. I've not seen any influence with muddied tiles giving better growth rate even in desert, so it's probably a biome thing. It doesn't influence farming plot growth, though.

What you're seeing is probably what biomes does have, not everything grows everywhere.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Crop Might give an idea on where grows what, but sometimes some biomes doesn't have some plants that'd normally be there.

How many dwarves are you keeping around and does you have dedicated farmer that does nothing but farm and haul food with 'o'rder set to only farmer can harvest? Setting order to only farmer can harvest won't affect plant stack, but it'll give farmers more experience.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:11:57 pm »

Thats odd that you need that much farm space to devote to boose production and still not keeping up.   I normaly get away with a 3x3 per hundred dwarves or so generates enough booze as long as at least moderatly skilled farmers do the planting.   As others have said biom shouldn't effect subterranean farming.   Only thing I could sugest is setup a potash production line and fertalize the fields.  It will cause you to have larger bundles of plants resulting in more drinks per barrel so each barrle of booze lasts longer.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »

Currently no, anything with soil tag will grow things equally well, same for muddied tiles. I believe wetness/rainfall might affect how often plants and trees crops up for surface soil. I've not seen any influence with muddied tiles giving better growth rate even in desert, so it's probably a biome thing. It doesn't influence farming plot growth, though.

What you're seeing is probably what biomes does have, not everything grows everywhere.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Crop Might give an idea on where grows what, but sometimes some biomes doesn't have some plants that'd normally be there.

How many dwarves are you keeping around and does you have dedicated farmer that does nothing but farm and haul food with 'o'rder set to only farmer can harvest? Setting order to only farmer can harvest won't affect plant stack, but it'll give farmers more experience.

well we've established in the past that I have a farming 'disability' ... but dwarf power might actually be the issue ... I'm still starting with the 'canned' embark and I am loathe to specialize any of them until I get a head count of 30 or more ... it is annoying enough early on that my expedition leader/manager/bookkeeper is the miner LOL ... iir I am just after the second immigration (23 ish) .... they send me a dang lyemaker but I have to manually change someone to architect

... in any case these things tend to fix themselves once I get further along ... I just hate looking at 1 plant and 6 drinks

On another note, I've changed my elections to secret ballot ... funny but the mayor who demanded a tin chest lost in the recount ...
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:40:15 pm »

well we've established in the past that I have a farming 'disability' ... but dwarf power might actually be the issue ... I'm still starting with the 'canned' embark and I am loathe to specialize any of them until I get a head count of 30 or more ... it is annoying enough early on that my expedition leader/manager/bookkeeper is the miner LOL ... iir I am just after the second immigration (23 ish) .... they send me a dang lyemaker but I have to manually change someone to architect

... in any case these things tend to fix themselves once I get further along ... I just hate looking at 1 plant and 6 drinks

On another note, I've changed my elections to secret ballot ... funny but the mayor who demanded a tin chest lost in the recount ...

I find it a good practice to have one dwarf with all the farming labors on and only food hauling enabled. That way they can handle all the farming, brewing, cooking and butchering jobs there might be. It doesn't takes too much away even from the starting group, unless you really need a dedicated mining gang from get go. Even one dwarf can manage all that up to around 20ish to 50ish once they hits legendary farming, I've found.

It's also good practice for me to have one plot set to plant plump helmet year-around from the start, even if half of it goes to waste, it's good for keeping planting skill up and as emergency back-up :D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »

I prefer to have at least 2 dedicated planters, so that my fields aren't completely empty when the main planter goes on a month-long break.  I generally have 1 planter for every 30 or so dwarves, varying a little depending on what kind of immigrants I get.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz