Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military.  (Read 540 times)

GoliBroda

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military.
« on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:02 am »

Hello. Can someone tell me what exactly i must do to build my military.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Military.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:11 am »

Go to google and type in "Dwarf Fortess wiki". All you need is on there in an easy to search format which will save the tedious questions and waiting for an answer on here. Feel free to ask follow up questions if anything needs further clarification - what you seek is such a broad question no simple or short answer that will tell you everything you need is easily providable.
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 12:18:33 pm »

there is a link to the wiki on the main 'df gameplay questions' page too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

mark_valley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:25 pm »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 04:53:11 pm »

While the wiki is your friend, I'll give you the just of what I do. First, I delete the default uniforms because of course I do. I delete everything from the leather armor one, and rename it to whatever i feel like. Usually ''infantry regalia.'' Then I add what I want them to wear. Mail shirt, breast plate,  helm, gauntlet, high boots, greaves, shield, and battle axe. Then I set them to specific materials, usually dictated by what I can find on my map. [copper, iron, steel..] Then I make a second uniform like the first, but instead of an axe i give them crossbows. Then, when I get a dwarf that I want to be military, which usually means a badass name, I just [v]iew them, .. uh shit.. [p] i think, then assign them a military unit. People here will tell you that you should have multiple 2-man squads. I just have 1-2 squads of 10. My dwarves gain exp just fine. Once you get somje full suits to avoid the naked unhappy thought, which your uniforms to ''replace clothing'', otherwise they won't wear that steel helm because that echinda leather cap is just SO fashionable. Then once you have them armed and ready, just have them kill anything you want dead, and by the time the goblins show up, you can turn them into smoothies.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

DwarfItUp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »

Personally I use traps and drawbridges to seclude off my base during raids or ambush's.

But the Wiki is insanely descriptive.. Give that a try sir.
Too many limbs

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:22 am »

Push the buttons on your keyboard in the proper order at the correct time (see wiki).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:32:22 am »

Push the buttons on your keyboard in the proper order at the correct time (see wiki).

You're not being real helpful, but yeah, reading the wiki will help you a lot. There is tons of info over there and if you're confused about anything in particular, just ask.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:26:41 am »

Sorry, heh. :)

Helpful answer:

Start preparing for war from the beginning of the fortress. Construct your fortress in such a way it is easily defended (walls, drawbridges, chokepoints, fortifications, etc). Craft weapons and armor. Create squads and set them to train. Keep civilians inside where they are safe.

A good way to practice is by having your military slaughter some of the badgers and other wildlife that run around on the map. :)