Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fey Mood Dwarves  (Read 671 times)

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
Fey Mood Dwarves
« on: April 07, 2007, 03:16:00 pm »

Every time I get a fey mood dwarf, I never can seem to satisfy what they want. I look through their thoughts and preferences and usually nothing in it is what they want or ask for. Is there some sort of trick to this that I am missing? I don't think I can afford to lose so many dwarves.

Also, what is mangrove?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fey Mood Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

A kind of tree. What do they ask for?

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

I've never had an issue with fey mood dwarves, they usually only take over a workshop for a few minutes, then walk away with an artifact made of not-so-rare materials, recently, a Fey Dwarf made an acacia wood bin, encircled with acacia wooden rings, manacing with spikes of acacia wood.

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: Heliopios ]

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

Well in several of my fey mood dwarves, their preferences include mangrove. When I go over the workshop with Q, it says they want wood. Every kind of wood in my map is available, meaning oak, willow, and maple. They don't take any of it, nor do they have any wood in their workshop. Could they be asking for something that I don't have?

I mean, it seems like every time I get a fey mood dwarf I can never fulfill what they want. There are so many different possibilities to their requests that they have a 90% chance of going insane before I can even make any of it.

For example, they just want metal bars. There are at least eight different kinds of metal bars that I can make. The process of making anything out of metal is so lengthy that they will go insane before I find what they want. Even when I DO give them what they want, they never leave the workshop to pick it up.

Does anyone have any sort of tricks to finding out what they want?

EDIT: The current fey mood dwarf, a farmer who has claimed a leather works, already has sandstone, deer leather, turquoises, and rock crystals, and is asking for metal bars, blocks, gems, rough gems, wood, leather, and stone. His preferences are moonstone, turquoise, amber, suns, bolts, plate mail, windows, and cats. All three types of wood are available, as well as the stone, yet he does not leave to take them. As for amber and suns, I don't even know where to find those, what they are, or if they even exist.

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: JPolito ]

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:31:00 pm »

All I can say is, once you have a good grasp on the game, having successful strange moods 95%+ of the time will be normal for you.

For bars I usually just make one of all of them as soon as I have a smelter (or magma smelter on treeless maps). Same for all three types of rough glass - green, clear, crystal. Keep a few turtle shell, bones, various leathers, blocks of all three classes of rock, and a few logs at hand. That will solve about 95%+ fey moods. Beyond that, just make sure you have a few of each type of non-glass gems; don't cut them until you're sure that's what a dwarf needs, since cut glass will usually suffice for cut gem demands, but any kind of specific nonglass gem demand is rare.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 02:14:00 am »

Also have a look at the wiki if you haven't done so already. One important thing is also that they will mention all the things still on their list, but it could be that only the first one is missing (though you usually don't know which one that is).

So in your case, have you all types of glass available? Maybe that's the only thing that is missing.

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 04:26:00 pm »

No, but that was because I didn't have all of the workshops built to make the other kinds of glass. What I really want to know is if dwarves will leave the workshop as soon as what they want is available, or do they wait until all of it is available? I haven't gotten one dwarf to leave the workshop and pick something up yet.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zomg:
<STRONG>All I can say is, once you have a good grasp on the game, having successful strange moods 95%+ of the time will be normal for you.

For bars I usually just make one of all of them as soon as I have a smelter (or magma smelter on treeless maps). Same for all three types of rough glass - green, clear, crystal. Keep a few turtle shell, bones, various leathers, blocks of all three classes of rock, and a few logs at hand. That will solve about 95%+ fey moods. Beyond that, just make sure you have a few of each type of non-glass gems; don't cut them until you're sure that's what a dwarf needs, since cut glass will usually suffice for cut gem demands, but any kind of specific nonglass gem demand is rare.</STRONG>

And that 5% of the time it's a damn fey jeweler who has Green Diamonds as one of his preferences, and he wants three rough gems and a shell, and you already have all the gems (including glasses) except for the really rare ones, and he ain't going for them, and so you start a massive mining project and strip-mine the entire area between the chasm and magma flow, and lo and behold you actually find a green friggin diamond! It's the first green diamond you've ever seen, and you've saved your fey dwarf! Except he goes and gets it and just sits there because he wants another impossibly rare gem, but that's okay, because you're high off of actually finding a friggin green diamond, and so you start strip mining the other side of the magma flow (not because you actually mined the whole of the chasm-magma area, but because you see emeralds over there anyway, and hey, while you're there, why not?), but you don't find any rare gems over there, and instead you accidentally run into the pits, and friggin spirits of fire rush through your fortress killing everyone because your military sucks, and then your damn fey jeweler just sits there mumbling about rough gems as dozens and dozens of dwarves are being incinerated because of him, until he finally goes melancholy and is incinerated as he's wandering about, and everyone dies...

Well, I guess that doesn't account for the entire 5% of failed moods... But it still sucks...

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 07:29:00 pm »

<STRONG>
And that 5% of the time it's a damn fey jeweler who has Green Diamonds as one of his preferences, and he wants three rough gems and a shell, and you already have all the gems (including glasses) except for the really rare ones, and he ain't going for them, and so you start a massive mining project and strip-mine the entire area between the chasm and magma flow, and lo and behold you actually find a green friggin diamond! It's the first green diamond you've ever seen, and you've saved your fey dwarf! Except he goes and gets it and just sits there because he wants another impossibly rare gem, but that's okay, because you're high off of actually finding a friggin green diamond, and so you start strip mining the other side of the magma flow (not because you actually mined the whole of the chasm-magma area, but because you see emeralds over there anyway, and hey, while you're there, why not?), but you don't find any rare gems over there, and instead you accidentally run into the pits, and friggin spirits of fire rush through your fortress killing everyone because your military sucks, and then your damn fey jeweler just sits there mumbling about rough gems as dozens and dozens of dwarves are being incinerated because of him, until he finally goes melancholy and is incinerated as he's wandering about, and everyone dies...

Well, I guess that doesn't account for the entire 5% of failed moods... But it still sucks...</STRONG>

Now THIS is an EXCELLENT example of a search for rare gems for tha 5% of failed moods. Two thumbs up if only there was a smily with thumbs.

Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JPolito:
<STRONG>No, but that was because I didn't have all of the workshops built to make the other kinds of glass. What I really want to know is if dwarves will leave the workshop as soon as what they want is available, or do they wait until all of it is available? I haven't gotten one dwarf to leave the workshop and pick something up yet.</STRONG>

They work off their list one by one (i.e. they do go and fetch the item) and stop if the current item is missing.

I've had another look at the wiki and as fas as I understand they always mention their whole list and not only those items that are still missing. See here:

wiki: strange mood

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

See, this is why I always build 4x4 workshops with doors. If a fey dwarves starts mumbling about stuff I ain't got/can't get/haven't a damn' clue about -- doors get locked and the little bearded SOB can sit there mumbling until the mood breaks. If he goes melancholy, I let him out for an act of self-immolation. If he goes totally fruit-loop, then I let him starve.

Hey, there's always another bearded SOB along to take his place later -- since I always get masses of migrants thanks to trading heavily.

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

The wiki doesn't help much. Frankly I think the dwarve's mumbling could be a little descriptive. Why not give me the color of the item they want? Then I might actually be able to help them.