Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead lake?  (Read 342 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead lake?
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:58 pm »

Okay, I embarked on this lake shore in the desert (untamed wilds lake and wilderness sand desert) and even though initially the zone selection showed as being fishable, it came out as them not being able to fish in it (haven't tried cavern fishing yet. I was like, 'okay, fine', but while I get various land animals (kangaroos, ravens, osprey men), I've only seen one group of lake creatures, a family of river otters that showed up the previous year. Seems like this lake is dead.

Any ideas on how to get more lake creatures (like fish, then again, desert lake) to show up? Also, I have not done any hunting, though perhaps I should.

Edit while posting: I just checked the lake again, and it shows as fishable, so maybe revealing caverns helped???

Edit: Still says no fish found in central lake. Any idea what is going on with it or will I never be able to fish in it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:07:18 pm by smjjames »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dead lake?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

Fishing labour actually fishes for vermin fish, which are non-renewable. Fish yo uactually see swimming around are just considered animals and must be trapped and processed that way.

If the lake has no vermin stored in it, as it were, you dwarves have nothing to fish, even if it was brimming with whales.

Wall off the edge of the map with raised bridges and more animals (carp, etc) should spawn in the lake.
Old and cringe account. Disregard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:16:59 pm »

Yeah, I know they are two different things. Though I've seen lungfish around and axolotls.

I read either on the wiki or a post around here that having flowing water will create a rolling stock, so I don't know if punching a hole in the floor of the lake and letting it drain off the edge of the map will help.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »

Once fish stock is depleted, it's no more. Lungfishes doesn't seem to be related to actual lake stock, I've gotten them in waterless map. They're treated like amphibian in-game, same for axolotls. Even actual vermin fish popping up in the water isn't very good indication of fishability that I've found.

I think a lot of information on wiki relating to fishing are dated since it's not really a popular activity. It's been an issue since animal tracking were implemented.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2780

Vermins don't technically regenerate/breeds, so it's pretty easy to drive them to extinction with enough effort, fishing's just the easiest way to do it.