Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How history works in game....  (Read 557 times)

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How history works in game....
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:24 pm »

After reading that in next update our DF worlds are gonna be more living..

I would like to know how are worlds and history working in THIS update.

Is it that when you gen new world everything stops, kids dont born anymore, NPCs dont build new settlements and everything stops moving ?

So like in flarechannel fortress... You will not get any immigrants because they will be after 100 years dead. This is kinda sad and frustrating for me.

And if is it that way okay, but how exactly is it gonna be different in next update ? Will it work like WORLD GEN but in slow and during play motion ?...

Reason I ask this is: I hate when something is somehow dead or useless for me and lost, when I read all amazing history of my civilization its just sad to know its not gonna evolve anymore, I wanna play as it does I wanna see it infront of my eyes, how McUrist gets killed by my crazy adventurer while he returned from his journey

This is my first post here and I would like to share my oponion about this, tell me if everything I say is somehow wrong...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: How history works in game....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 02:11:19 pm »

We won't know exactly how it'll work in the next update until it comes out.

Currently history outside of the fortress is frozen in fortress mode. No idea how it works in adventure mode.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »

1. Everything outside of your fortress and outside of your actions in adventure mode stops. Though I think there are still some movement of groups and some adventure related stuff.

2. Flarechannel fortress? To answer your question, you'll still get migrant waves as they are mostly generated, but there will be some historical based migrants.

3. I've heard about the new version being more alive with the history continuing after worldgen ends as well, but only Toady One and Threetoe would know how exactly it works, if Toady hasn't given further details. You might be right though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:29:45 pm »

currently, the only history that continues is whatever you do. So your adventurers adventures are recorded, but no npc goes out to slay a dragon or wage war or anything. As you guessed, it does mean that if you play in the world long enough, historical migrants basically drop dead when they arrive, as will merchants and outpost liaisons. In adventure mode villagers, townspeople, bandits etc may all die as soon as you come close enough to unfreeze them and allow time back in their, from that moment on, very short life. Bandit leaders that players have been sent to slay have been known to drop dead from old age, with the player getting the credit from the grateful villagers (those who didn't die from old age yet). The effect is most noticable for humans, with their shorter life spans. It is also more noticable since last update, with an increase in historical migrants and figures instead of mostly randomly generated ones.

It's also the joke explanation why you sometimes get such huge hordes of migrants, even when the place is clearly a deathtrap. It's the only place where life will continue, where they can get kids and have their kids grow up. They are so desperate that zombie hordes, goblins and horrors from forgotten times are not enough to discourage them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

I thought merchants were randomly generated and not historical?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »

I'll leave the answer to that to someone who actually knows, but the last update seems to have directed a lot of effort at replacing randomly generated dwarfs with historical figures
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:20:31 am »

Thank you for answers, I think I will just ignore all of my history until update comes up and I will seal off my fortress... Live is here, those out are those "second" people...