Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funny walking dog  (Read 952 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Funny walking dog
« on: August 09, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

Ok, I am asking here because there are soo many google topics on a oddly walking dog that I am having a hard time finding it.

My dog has started walking oddly, he is clearly limping. One of his front legs is fine but the other has a lower paw arch so to speak.

I think he either lost blood flow to that leg or has a severed nerve. Since most dogs I am aware of will stop putting pressure on seriously injured legs.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Funny walking dog
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:16:15 pm »

Ok, I am asking here because there are soo many google topics on a oddly walking dog that I am having a hard time finding it.

My dog has started walking oddly, he is clearly limping. One of his front legs is fine but the other has a lower paw arch so to speak.

I think he either lost blood flow to that leg or has a severed nerve. Since most dogs I am aware of will stop putting pressure on seriously injured legs.
might be arthritis, does he whine sometimes from getting up or putting pressure on it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:18:34 pm »

No the weird thing is that he seems perfectly fine and doesn't avoid walking around.

It feels more like he has absolutely no control (or feeling) in one of his paw (but not the whole leg)

Which is the equivalent (sort of) of not having the feeling in a foot. A person would walk weird if that happened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:20:59 pm »

Hmm, i honestly don't know, it does sound like nerve damage though, not much you can fix. How old is he?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:30:16 pm »

Hmm, i honestly don't know, it does sound like nerve damage though, not much you can fix. How old is he?

17 of a breed that lives 13 years average and where 17 is the max.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 04:32:09 pm »

Animals tend to hide how much pain they're in. It could just be broken or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:35:20 pm »

Animals tend to hide how much pain they're in. It could just be broken or something.

Dogs tend to put the weight off it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 05:22:22 pm »

god damn 17, i guess hes breaking down now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »

god damn 17, i guess hes breaking down now.

Yeah the chances he will live until 18 are fantastically small. Especially given his quickly degenerating health.

Kidney failure, Heart Murmur, and a collapsed trachea.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 06:12:00 pm by Neonivek »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »

It's probably one of the possibilities you mentioned: Restricted blood flow or a deteriorating nerve. It could be muscle failure, too, or the beginnings of arthritis. Unless it's a rare condition there probably isn't much you can do, and even then the treatment may be worse than the cure for such an old dog. If you can afford the expense the best thing would be to brave the vet to see if they can help.

If not, well... I don't mean to sound cold, but most animals need to be put down once they get to a certain point so they don't suffer too much. Most dogs are lucky to live near that age, and it sounds like the problems are starting to pile on. I don't know if your dog is quite at that point yet, but it's something a vet would probably be able to tell you.

It might be best to come to terms with his age and start making plans, both emotionally and financially, for when that time comes. I've never had to go through a situation like that myself but I know there's a lot of good advice on the Internet for making your dog's last days more comfortable.

We're here for you.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:32 pm »

The biggest barrier to putting animals down around here is that the vets, to make sure that only animals that need to be put down are put down, charge excessive amounts for it.

As for coming to grips with my dog's demise. I don't have much capacity there.

I know if he is going to be put down, that I absolutely refuse to be the one to carry him to the car.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:11 am »

Update for people who care... The dog started walking properly for no real reason.

I guess he slept funny.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 03:32:30 am »

I'm glad that Neodoggy is feeling better. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

Hooray!!