Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gremlin born at fortress treated as a fortress member  (Read 1068 times)

howitended

• Bay Watcher
  • Real men wear pink
    • View Profile
Gremlin born at fortress treated as a fortress member
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:10:21 pm »

I played a (vanilla) fort a while back where a gremlin gave birth near the edge of my map before my military could kill it.

The odd thing was that the baby was called "gremlin baby", and showed on my units list as a member of my fortress. (though it couldn't be assigned labors, and just wandered near where it was born until it fell into a murky pool and drowned)

But it made me wonder why it happened, and if there was any way it could have been assigned labors or used for anything if it'd lived to grow up.
They built this whole neighborhood out of wood, out of wood
I guess I'll still be around when they burn, burn it down
I will be standing around when they burn it down

Here in the Museum of Idiots

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin born at fortress treated as a fortress member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 09:30:03 pm »

Nothing odd about it being called a baby, but it being considered a fortress member is strange. I've had wild animals give birth in a fort before, but the infants were never considered as part of my civ. Maybe it has something to do with [BABY] behavior? Either way, those gremlins must have been sitting by the edge of the map for quite some time, a year at the least.

Though gremlins are intelligent, they are still considered pets and can be tamed, though difficult to trap. If it had the chance to join your fort it would have been capable of becoming a hunter because it has a natural skill in sneaking. Though it probably wouldn't be able to actually hunt anything.

With the way Dwarf Mode logic works, only dwarves can actually do anything, even if you were able to force humans/elves/goblins to be part of your civ. They would likely just stand around, eating all your food.

howitended

• Bay Watcher
  • Real men wear pink
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin born at fortress treated as a fortress member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »

So it'd still be slightly less useless than a dwarven child?

:( I wish I'd saved it now.
They built this whole neighborhood out of wood, out of wood
I guess I'll still be around when they burn, burn it down
I will be standing around when they burn it down

Here in the Museum of Idiots