Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Worst Map EVER  (Read 1268 times)

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst Map EVER
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:16:00 pm »

Not sure where this goes, so feel free to move it mods!

I am trying to make the hardest fortress ever, and plan to write the most epic tale of it ever created.
However, after at least 20 failed generations, i'm at a loss.

Here's what I need from all of you:
I need to generate a map that has the worst starting conditions remotely possible.
I need a Freezing, NO wood, NO plantlife, Terrifying map with evil cities nearby to encourage seiges.

Freezing will make the outside river mostly useless.  No wood and plantlife ensures going outside will be a fatal and unproductive venture.  And terrifying?  Self-explanatory.
Seiges will be my primary source of goods, I imagine.  AND a big threat!
I also plan to go semi-luddite, having only a reasonable degree of traps.

I think i'm ready.  And I think it'll be good reading!

Must be generated with default DF, temperature and weather on.

If anyone can help, thanks!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Map EVER
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »

Tundra, wasteland and desert have no river at all.

Sharpshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

I have 2 maps that are close,

Tundra
Freezing
No Trees
No Veg
No Trade
Serene

Glacier
Freezing
No Trees
No Veg
No Trade
Protected Wilds

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »

Trade is required, as I need a fortress not a small pile of corpses.  =3

What's in protected wilds?  I can't find anything in the wiki.  As long as i'm constantly menaced by horrendous superbeasts, then it's acceptible!

This is supposed to be the ultimate test of dwarven mettle.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:46:00 pm »

Protected Wilds are (ime) fraught with 'nice' beasts - unicorns and elephants. Not the skeletal variety, but the 'nice guy, we're good and holy' variety. Which means they still squish dwarves. (is there anything that doesn't?)

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:10:00 pm »

Hey Sharpshot, go ahead and send me those two that you have.

Use RAR on best compression.  I find that RAR gets smaller filesize than Zip or 7Zip.

Email them to me if they're 10 MB or less:
janglur@gmail.com

Else IM me at SilverblueGoth on AIM.

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: Axle Gear ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

Unicorns are to be feared- and they're on every good map in huge herds. That otherwise inhospitable glacier, that empty scorching sand desert? Unicorn playgrounds. They must live off of the swarms of fairies on good maps, as they can survive in huge numbers anywhere...

And they will kill you. If you get too close, like a pack of wolves, they lash out and gore any who get in their way, using sheer numbers and their deadly, deadly horns to slaughter their foes mercilessly, and every sentient being can be counted among the Unicorn's foes...

Would a terrifying tundra be preferable to a “nice” peaceful one? Would you rather face ice wolves blizzard men sasquaches, perhaps just a mountain of zombie hoary marmots or would you rather face unicorns? I'll tell you: after your first run in with a the horned beasts, you'll be begging for a good old terrifying zombie rodent!

Beware the Unicorn!

quote:
What's in protected wilds? I can't find anything in the wiki. As long as i'm constantly menaced by horrendous superbeasts, then it's acceptible!

Protected wilds... Not only to they have massive death-herds of unicorns, but they also have as many "neutral" animals, predatory and otherwise, as the map can handle. A "protected wilds" jungle, for instance, will be absolutely crawling with vicious unicorns, bloodthirsty elephants, as well as a giant tiger or leopard, feeling very small and alone among the herds of giant killers. Perhaps even a band of Satyrs will come by, and kill any dwarf they see in their mad, Dionysian revelry.

So for the hardest map... You could go with a treeless one, where you just don’t go outside at all and hole-up happily in your cave, or you could go with a protected jungle, and know that there is wood and plant life outside just waiting for you, but that certain death also lurks in the benign fairy-ridden woods...

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

Actually, I slaughter unicorns all the time.  They don't seem to be a bad threat.  I've lost twice as many hunters to lions as unicorns.
I've killed maybe ONE elephant, ever.

No, I want something /even worse/.  Undead preferably, because you can't eat the undead.

(Can't eat unicorns either, but their skulls are worth like 100x normal)

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

You can't eat unicorns either...

*Grumbles about how many dwarves he's lost to hoards of uncorns...*

Edit:
*Continues to grumble, this time about his lack of reading comprehension...*

[ April 04, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]

Axle Gear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:00 pm »

Nevermind!  I FINALLY got one!

Badlands
Scorching
NO Trees
NO Vegitation
Terrifying

A quick scum reveals a Nightwing on the map, so we have hostiles.

Seems all'sa go!  I'll begin the story immediately.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

Um, did you happen to backup that world before you started? I'd like to try that, too!

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 10:39:00 pm »

I had a map in a calm Jungle..... as soon as I got my first group of nobles a herd of 12 Elephants always showed up and rampaged through my fortress. (I had saved about 6 months prior to this event so I kept replaying it for a while) finally I managed to mob the elephants and took them all down losing 25 dwarves in the best armor and weapons that I had (iron axes, with bronze spears and marks dwarves the combat dwarves were wearing Bronze platemail (all supreme or masterpeice) with the same quality chain under that, with bronze chain leggings, bronze gauntlets, shields and helms.) and another 40 bringing my population down to 45..... It was horible....
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:19:00 am »

My fortress, Dreamgate, has no trees, no veg, sand desert, with a nightwing that respawns instantly on death.

I modded some files in the world, though, so it wouldn't really work for others  :D

I also get a goblin siege every few months, but my small military of super-soldiers butchers them with little difficulty. Stockpiles of adamantine bolts with dwarves behind fortifications cut down goblin hordes rather nicely. One volley and my hallway is full of corpses, then they reload and fire when the next goblin steps up. I usually end up with a pile 4 tiles thick in my 3 wide hallway with a hundred or so goblins piled up on 12 or so tiles.

I also got a hydra show up recently, but it was a bit disappointing - I sent one guy in and the first couple bolts gave it mortal wounds, and it just died while my guy was running back for more ammo.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link