Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blindfighting  (Read 2024 times)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blindfighting
« on: August 10, 2013, 09:53:49 am »

My entire military just lost their eyesight. Two dusting FBs got into the hospital at the same time. The hospital is right next to the barracks.  I sent in the troopers. Dustplostions everywhere.

The resulting Health Pages look like this.

Yeah. Pages and Pages of Big Red Vs.  It is amusing to see the military mass resting in the hospital though.

Will this heal, or will I have a permanently blind military?

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blindfighting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:01:09 am »

Rename your dorfs Blind Ones or somesuch label. They will suck at fighting now in this fort, but I abandoned my last fort where blinding clown dust turned my marksdorfs blind. When they migrated to my new fort it seems they recovered their ability to see. So as long as their eyes didn't rot out, they should be able to see when you move to a new fort.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:36 am »

Oh, I won't be migrating. This fort is seventeen years in, most of the citizenry has turned over at least once or twice, with military dwarves having an even shorter lifespan. A tantrum spiral brought me down to under 20 dwarves once. I actually prefer it that way. Things like mass military vision loss are more amusing then constantly happy, healthy dwarves.

You gotta keep the optimal amount of fun without descending into FUN.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:10:35 am »

You could make them siege engineers. You'd think blind guys firing ballista bolts would be a bad thing, but their accuracy doesn't suffer and they won't run when enemies approach.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:15:11 am »

Well, I have a bunch of slade. Maybe it is time to have a blind catapult team vs the circus.

Update: I sent two marksdwarf squads and my axedwarf squad out against a dratha herd. There is one marksdwarf that still has sight. The rest of the crew is -helpless-. They can't find the dratha. It's rather comical.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:32:21 am by edgefigaro »

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:54:55 am »

Have them fight against a duck or something until they're legendary in everything. If they really can't hit it, that should come pretty soon. You would think a legendary +5 swordmaster could hit something despite vision loss, and the defense skills would help... Also you will have the only military in the dwarven world that actually obeys orders.

If not, they'll be very good and difficult to kill haulers after.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:40 am »

Make them all siege operators and civilian labourers where skill matters not, like fortification carvers. They also would make decent teachers [blind sparring is hilarious] and a great 2nd line of defence. They'll be blind, and they won't be as good soldiers as they were, but they'll do. Such is life in the Fortress.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:31 am »

Everyone's eyes healed after ~6 months, so no long term fun, unfortunately.

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:08:02 am »

It is always a sad day for an overseer when his dwarves heal particularly interesting injuries.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:35 am »

Mama! Papa! I can see!
YAY SON!

Overseer! I can see!
Aww shit. That could've been useful.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:46 am »

Sigh. I have yet to see the full potential of a fortress where the entire "military" are balista operators. Making them blind just makes it that much better. My mental images (while totally hilarious) assume it could be truely devastating.

deepdowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFMigrant]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »

[...] and a great FIRST line of defence. They'll be blind, and they won't be as good soldiers as they were, but they'll do. Such is life in the Fortress.

I fixed that for you  :)
"So you're staring at the Matrix while memorizing every key combination for twelve hours a day....every day?"