Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How the heck do i get lava over the damn chasm?  (Read 1051 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
How the heck do i get lava over the damn chasm?
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

Anyone know? I got some goblins needin to be burned i set up a flood chamber to drown enemies and nobles, crazy dwarves and such but they escape out thru the darned open floodgate.

Sincerely Berent

The everlasting planet of dragons.

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the heck do i get lava over the damn chasm?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

you can have a longer chanel behind your floodgate, so that they drown while trying to escape.

or you can bring lava over the chasm or the river by building an aquaduct.  if it melts, try building it out of steel instead.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

wich way do i face the aquaduct tho? north?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

east-west, I'd say. The face of the aquaduct (you spell it differently, right?) I understand as the opening side.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

Yes, an aqueduct over the chasm needs left and right openings or whatever (A and D). Also I must note that aqueducts' width must be an odd number, keep that in mind when designing your channels (that is, 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.)

Stuff dealing with magma does NOT need to be made out of steel except if it's interfacing with the actual magma flow. So you only need steel for the magma furnaces/forge and if you want to cross the flow with a bridge or an aqueduct. But you can safely channel magma with anything made out of stone. Wood on the other hand, naturally, burns down on contact with magma. But who'd use wood for such constructions anyway when you have a billion stones laying around??

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

not quite correct, but very close. anything that goes over even one tile of magma flow needs to be steel (magma workshops/etc do this too) but not all thigns that interface with the magma flow itself need to be steel.  I always use stone floodgates to pull magma from the flow into channels, they work fine.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

I knew that. I worded my statement poorly, that's what I meant.
Reality is for people who lack imagination