Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: archers go melee  (Read 396 times)

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
archers go melee
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »

hey guys :-D

my crossbowman should attack an invading minotaurus. but they went in and attacked in melee!

now checking their items they all have chrossbow and quiver ... :-/
do i need to set my archer squad to archery somewhere?
or do i select "carry ammunition" somewhere? i have 10000xx bolts in their archery training barrack and sometimes they shoot at my archery target so they could if they want to ... :-(

Lucelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: archers go melee
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:08 pm »

Make sure the ammunition is actually enabled for that specific squad. I don't remember the exact screen because its been awhile since I've played, but you can allot specific ammunition for specific squads, so make sure this squad is actually allowed to use the ammunition you have available.
Lucelle Weapons and Armour adds in tons of historical weapons and armour from a variety of different cultures

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:20 pm »

[v]iew one of them and look into their quiver to see if they're carrying any bolts.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 02:45:02 am »

Try stationing marksdwarves somewhere, preferably somewhere where they cannot path to an enemy.  Kill commands can be kinda wonkey with ranged units and rangers will try to close to melee range when they run out of ammo or get too close.

Ammo can be set in the (m)ilitary screen.  It should be the last or second to last option its keybinding is f.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:17 am »

If the squad was originally assigned as melee squad or even non-military, might have to enable ammunition and make enough of them. It's checkable under the ammunition part of military screen, I'd recommend at least 250 to 300 and combat ammunition set.

Other than that, dwarves are sometimes a bit... headstrong.