Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraver forever ruined?  (Read 734 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraver forever ruined?
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

Blessed early on with a legendary engraver, pretty much all my fortress was perfectly engraved with master-work quality every 4-5 tiles.  Everything was good.  THIS fortress I would make work.  THIS fortress would not catch on fire and have everyone die.  Nothing would go wrong this time.  The entire chasm to lava was a sea of draw-bridges ready to pound the demons into nothingness.  There would be no flaming items or bodies left!!

Ah, before I hit the demons I should celebrate by building a fancy statue garden off my royal dining room.  Let's just dig a little room...

tantrum??  Who's throwing a tantrum?  My engraver?  Oh god she's beating people up and just killed 2 dwarves by destroying a bridge.  Her art was defaced?  Oh god.  Ok, I can understand her being upset, but it will pass right.

A year later, she's still tantruming off and on and not getting better.  Her bedroom is made out of gem encrusted masterwork furniture, her life is non-stop happy thoughts, but she won't stop tantruming.

Is the destruction of a single one of her masterwork engraved walls made her magma-worthy?  Is there any hope or should I just lock her door and pull the switch?

if there is no hope, is there anything I can mod to avoid this situation.  Getting a little upset, having a negative thought and maybe dropping down from estastic to content I could see.  But when one of your 500 well carved walls is mined through so that you can  create even better work totally destroys a dwarf, something seems not quite fun.

In the modding section on the wiki I saw one of the creature tags makes them emotionless.  If I add this to a dwarf, will they no longer get happy or sad?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Engraver forever ruined?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

Did you happen to arrange a magma and-or drawbridge related accident for your sheriff and other key nobles? When I have masterwork crafts lost/stolen, usually once the dwarf does some property damage they get arrested (hopefully before they do anything too serious) and then once they get released they're ecstatic again and no more tantrums.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

Even though I had 26 dwarves, 4 years hav gone by and no nobles have arrived yet. My pop cap is 19.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

I can't say for sure but I think you need more then 19 dwarves to get some decent nobles. I think my first immigration brought me from 7 to 26, so why not try that? Or somewhere around there.

Careful when you double-detail walls. I only do that on walls I will never, ever, ever touch again for that very reason. Although having a sheriff would negate that, I think... Or lessen the effect.