Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't build?  (Read 865 times)

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't build?
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

It looks like I can't build anything anymore before the cave river. I've got a bridge scheduled for completion on my moat outside, but every time I resume construction I get a 'cannot find path' message and it's cancelled immediately. I've got the same problem with workshops close to the entrance, anything after the cave river builds fine. Also, it looks like the architect can get to the bridge just fine, all the materials get delivered, only when the actual construction is supposed to start it gets cancelled.
I've tried to build bridges on different parts of the moat, same thing happens everytime.

Is this an issue with too narrow corridors? My fort is a bit crowded in the pre-cave river area, maybe that's why?

On the other hand, I did very much enjoy watching the elven caravan starve to death unable to get home.   :cool:

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't build?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

Make sure that all the doors are not locked and that the paths are clear.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

It could be a pathing issue with attempting to locate an inaccessible stone or block. Consider canceling the construction and selecting item from further down the list.

I believe newer (i.e. recently excavated) stones show up to the bottom of the list, so you could always excavate some of the cliff face and use those stones to build it. Or, have your mason make blocks/metalsmith make bars and use the most recently created ones, provided they're on the accessible side of the bridge.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

Watch for mass cancellations after a river flood. Some of the rocks on the banks may be washed away. Could be related, but a good thing to watch regardless. And build stockpiles for that valuable limestone that is mined on the banks!

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

Whenever I get this problem it's invariably due to one of the components being inaccessible, not the building site. Try building something using different stones on the list.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:03:00 pm »

Or a dwarf with the architect profession has been flood washed to a small island on the river somewhere. They will immediately suspend every available job and give out path errors since they are trapped.

Crnobog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:45:00 am »

I don't think it was flood related, I managed to build a one-tile bridge on the moat and from there the construction of the main bridge went a lot more smoothly (meaning, it got build). I didn't even have to change the materials, just set it to resume and this time it went normally. Don't know what that was about.

On the other hand, immediately after that I get a massive human siege and my population is reduced by half and then some, from 115 to 43...I managed to lock my remaining dwarves inside, but the humans are still there   :(

What did I do to anger you, Morodwyn?   :(

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

Maybe your paths were too narrow after all, causing such massive traffic jams that before a dwarf arrived at the construction site he'd got either thirsty, hungry, sleepy or breaky.

Some humans take offense very lightly. Maybe the sight of dwarves building a bridge set their emotions on fire. :P