Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do graphics sets work?  (Read 814 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
How do graphics sets work?
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:36:56 pm »

I'm trying to make a graphics set, but with no luck. The example doesn't go into enough detail, and there's no information on the wiki that I found.
So, just a quick runthrough ought to be good. Especially: where do I put the text file and picture to use them?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do graphics sets work?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:50:43 am »

are you trying to make a tileset(font) or creature graphics?

if you are trying creature graphics ill breek it down for you

graphics_mamaphant                             the name of the fil it is in e.g the text doc is graphics_mamaphant.text

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]                              always have this

[TILE_PAGE:MAMAPHANT]                      this can be anything
   [FILE:mamaphant.png]                   the path of the image inside the graphics folder if it was in a file calle stuff it would               __                                                       be  [FILE:mamaphant.png]
   [TILE_DIM:18:18]                         the dimension of each tile e.g mine are 18 pixels x 18 pixels
   [PAGE_DIM:1:1]                            the number  rows and columns of tiles mine has 1 of each 1x1=1 i hve 1 tile in total

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:MAMAPHINT_SKH]                             the name of the creature
   [DEFAULT:MAMAPHANT:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]                 The DEFAULT represents the profession. MAMAPHINT should be the same  _                                                                                     as your TILE_PAGE. the 0 : 0 is the horizontal and vertical coordinince       _                                                                                      of the tile  remember it starts at 0 not one (top left is 0 : 0) the last 2  _                                                                                        boxes should be letf as is unless your doing somethin fancy

[CHILD:MAMAPHANT:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]                         you can assign different professions different tiles, i only have one tile  _                                                                                        how ever. all profesions as well as Nobles can have custom  _                                                                                         Graphics                 
   [ANIMATED:MAMAPHANT:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

i hope that helped you should download a graphics pack to see how they have done it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:03:55 am by sackhead »

Obsidian Soul

• Bay Watcher
  • ...and the severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
Re: How do graphics sets work?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:36:23 am »

The easiest way to go through it is to really just download an existing graphics set and use it as a base for creating your own. Play with it first, so you can get an idea of what tiles are used for what things.

For normal stuff, it's actually as easy as simply replacing pictures tile by tile with your own. No need to edit anything in the text. Use this page in the Wiki as a reference for what gets used for what. Note however that some graphics set changes which tile gets used for what, so compare it first with the graphics set you're using as the base. I recommend you do this first until you start to see how your changes affect the game.

If you need to do advanced editing (like changing background and foreground colors in some tiles, or reassigning an object to a different tile number), the text files you will need to edit are in the raw/graphics/ folder as well as raw/objects/ folders.

But what text file to change varies by what tile you want to change. For example, for plants you edit the plant_standard.txt while for creatures you do what sackhead posted above, etc. It's too complicated to explain I think. So it's best if you ask about them individually if you want to change anything (e.g. "I want to change the foreground color used for dead larch trees" or "I want to change the tile used for peasants", etc.). We should be able to answer those by then.

Also my own thread last year asking the same questions might help you answer some of these questions.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:47:55 am by Obsidian Soul »