Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well Hell  (Read 687 times)

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well Hell
« on: October 30, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

Ok, has anyone figured out how to do a well?

I got the blocks and bucket, and was then told I needed mechs and a chain. Several months later I finally managed to get a chain forged (Took me forever just to find a bit of copper ore!). So, now I go to build the well in the room I made for a well, and it tells me I need an open space! WTF?

I read in another thread, where someone managed to make a water-filled tunnel, and put a well above that. But thats more of a cistern than a well. Is that the only way to do it, or is there some way to make a normal well?

I just want a well in case my booze runs out.

ho watches those that watch us???

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well Hell
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »

I think the open space you need to build it on is a channel. I don't know if there are any other steps you need to take, as I haven't built one yet.

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:49:00 pm »

That's how I've set it up, but every time I do it, it crashes.

I've read that dwarves won't drink stagnant water, and it's possible that since the water in my channel isn't circulating it now counts as stagnant (causing the crash?)-- so what I need to do is build a dam upstream so I have water at higher elevation and then get a channel off of that artificial lake to come down through my underlevel and then serve as the water source for a well before it dumps back into the brook at a lower elevation (since there's nowhere else for it to go.)

It may be that you can find an aquifer which is maybe an underground river and then sink your well into that instead-- I think this is the more common solution, but I'm on a mountainside and I think the water table is very very very far away.

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: SquidDNA ]

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

I'm in some low forested hills. So far I have found no sign of an aquifer or underground river. So no I am working on digging a line out to the river, to feed a cistern under the well room. Not sure how it will work out tho.
ho watches those that watch us???