Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evaporating Clay Collection Zones - New Mod Ideas  (Read 404 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Evaporating Clay Collection Zones - New Mod Ideas
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:55:35 am »

I made a discovery.

Everyone knows that clay is unlimited. I started playing a bit around and noticed that if you change FIRED_MAT on the clay, it is not accepted as clay anymore. Logically, this should mean that all inorganics with FIRED_MAT would be accepted as clay. This is correct. They also need the soil tag. It would look like this:
[SOIL][MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:FIRED_MAT:INORGANIC:WHATEVER]

If you add this to any inorganic, lets say gabbro and granite, then they wont leave any boulders when mined, but unlimited gabbro/granite boulders can be collected.

Now, if you add [ITEM_SYMBOL:''] to it, you can collect items that look very differently, it does not have to be a boulder.

If you add ENVIMONMENT_SPEC:INORGANIC:WHATEVER:CLUSTERONE:, then you can have rare finds while mining, that give you access to a specific, unlimited material.

To make it even more interesting, lets assume the inorganic mat does boil away at room temperature. While being dug, nothing happens, because soil doesnt leave boulders to boil away. But when collected, it would result in a cloud of gas affecting the worker.

Now all this modded stuff does not quite fit clay collection, so insolors string dump replacer can rename the hardcoded clay oven, or just the reaction to something else. "Collect clay" could be anything you want. Same goes for the clay-zone.

My line of thought: "You have struck a Place of Power!"... lets go to my workshop with the custom name, and select the "Empower a dwarf" reaction. Needs an active "Powered Zone". Dwarf runs to the single Place of Power you found, is affected by the syndrome adding temporary boosts. All kinds of magical gems could be hidden away like this, founding an entiry upgrade system.

I for example have a rare "Breath of Armok" gem, which gives the miner that digs it a temporary syndrome, the "Blessing of Armok", giving him super speed. With this system, these could be unlimited speed-boost stations. I am sure Total Conversions can make some use of this. Or you could use a vein instead of a single tile, call it "ley line".   ;D

I will use a tamer version of this idea, for two new inorganics in MasterworkDF. Dirt and Peat.

Peat already exists and contains clusters of compact peat that can be mined and burned for fuel. I think changing the system to a slow, labor-intensive, but unlimited source of "collect peat", which is then compressed and burned for fuel, would be a nice change.

Dirt would be simply used for my decorational plant workshops, like potted plants and patches of grass, as well as build-mat, for example for a herb-garden. Or used to cultivate a plant in a reaction. Dirt + Seed + Fertilizer = Plant.

Anyway, I just thought I share this with everyone, because it was clearly new for me. Evaporating clay-collection zones that give syndromes... :) The very same could be done with sand I assume, but that would require bags.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporating Clay Collection Zones - New Mod Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:42 am »

You so clever :o haha nice find. Perhaps you could use it in swamps to bottle swamp gas or something for lamps? Make it a sand zone and you use a bottle instead of a bag and get gas :) there's loads of possibilities

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporating Clay Collection Zones - New Mod Ideas
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:32:20 am »

I ran into a problem with this sort of thing a while back - you can collect clay from soil layers just fine, but if you want to make clusters that appear in other stone layers, they won't actually work for collecting. They have to be part of a soil layer. It's a real pain in the ass. I wanted to make it so that you could collect a fossil fuel from a fairly rare cluster by having the actual soil-type relegated to the bottom of the ocean via [SOIL_OCEAN] and only accessible in normal play through the clusters, but that doesn't work at all. I think that if you use just use the [SOIL] you'll end up with entire surface layers made out of Breath of Armok, which might go against the point of your leylines/places of power. I'd love to be proven wrong here, though.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD