Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: Sexism Thread #23  (Read 19499 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Sexism Thread #23
« Reply #435 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:41 am »

... Or one is acknowledging that such bias is inevitable, and the other is lying to yourself about its presence. Probably a little of both yours and mine. Why's it actually relevant here? Establish why it's a bias that matters.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:50 am »

... Or one is acknowledging that such bias is inevitable, and the other is lying to yourself about its presence. Probably a little of both yours and mine. Why's it actually relevant here? Establish why it's a bias that matters.

The better question is whether or not that bias is important or not. Which while common wisdom would suggest that it isn't.

There is such a thing as important bias.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 13, 2013, 03:28:12 am »

Which while common wisdom would suggest that it isn't.

Common wisdom suggests that men and women have the same exact understanding of sexism, eh?

Well this explains rather a lot
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 13, 2013, 03:30:24 am »

Which while common wisdom would suggest that it isn't.

Common wisdom suggests that men and women have the same exact understanding of sexism, eh?

Well this explains rather a lot

Is that your perspective as a woman?

Which is my answer.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:12 am »

As a woman?  No, my perspective is definitely that gender, and the life experiences people tend to hand to you from your youngest age, definitely changes your perspectives on certain things.  It makes stuff that happens overwhelmingly more to women a personal memory, rather than an imaginative academic exercise.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 13, 2013, 03:37:46 am »

As a woman?  No, my perspective is definitely that gender, and the life experiences people tend to hand to you from your youngest age, definitely changes your perspectives on certain things.  It makes stuff that happens overwhelmingly more to women a personal memory, rather than an imaginative academic exercise.

So then to you a person is irrevocably tied to their gender. Their opinions are their gender's opinions, their facts that their gender's facts.

Not exactly what I was trying to say, but it is certainly an interesting perspective.

Mind you it is utterly meaningless.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:39:56 am by Neonivek »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 13, 2013, 03:43:24 am »

Okay, you said my point of view was meaningless and I'm going to bed now.  Smell ya later.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 13, 2013, 03:44:53 am »

Okay, you said my point of view was meaningless and I'm going to bed now.  Smell ya later.

Good idea.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:58 am »

Ah, so the tables eventually turn.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 13, 2013, 04:09:58 am »

And if, some time in the future, we do have this discussion in a way that isn't setting itself up for failure, and somebody tries to wedge women's rights into it, I promise that I will make a similar plea if I post at all. And if I fail, you can redirect me to this post and I'll feel like an ass. Some mocking of me would probably be in order, too, I would have it coming and you have my explicit permission.

And also against women, is I think the point.

You are an ass and a hypocrite. You don't give a damn about equal rights instead preferring to go on about a specific set of issues just to feel better about yourself. I know you will try to deny it, or try to find some way out, but that is because you are too narrow minded to ever see your own bias.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:36 am »

You are an ass and a hypocrite. You don't give a damn about equal rights instead preferring to go on about a specific set of issues just to feel better about yourself. I know you will try to deny it, or try to find some way out, but that is because you are too narrow minded to ever see your own bias.

>come in thread
>people calling people names
>otherwise acting unnecessarily hostle

You know what I've never seen this forum have a level-headed debate about? Sexism. This needs a lock. Try again if you want, but too far.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2013, 04:13:47 am »

I had explicit permission. He said I could with the given conditions, so I did.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #447 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:36 am »

It still doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea.

kingfisher1112 is gone, after a pattern of trolling or flaming or whatever you call it that has been going on for a while, over a bunch of threads.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]