Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anvil missing / trading it?  (Read 433 times)

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
anvil missing / trading it?
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:07:19 am »

hey guys,

when i embarked i am 100% sure i got an anvil with me. i also saw the anvil in my stockpiles all the time.
then the time came when i wanted to build an metalsmiths forge. and the anvil was gone. just gone.

could it be a goblin thief stole it ??

before i build the metalsmith, i built a smelter. could the smelter have used the anvil in the building process?

now i realy like my fortress and dont want to start a new one just yet (i want to be defeated by undead or dragons or civil wars, not by forgetting an anvil x->). what are the possible ways to get an anvil now?

i would guess by trading, are there any other ways?

how do i trade an anvil, do i need to set priority of anvils higher somewhere so merchants actually carry anvils?

im totally new to trading i have never traded before. i managed to set up a trade post and carry a few stuff to the post but in the trading menu i was utterly lost. anyone knows a in-detail tutorial of how that trading screen works? i didnt even manage to sell some prepared food for some money -.-

thanks guys :-)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: anvil missing / trading it?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:09:47 am »

Some animals can steal materials, kobold thieves can steal them. Goblin only tries to steal kids.

Forge workshops are the only ones that uses anvil. And only way to get anvil is to trade one in or to make one in the forge. Higher trading priority will get them to bring more, but I usually find they carries plenty of anvils anyway.

As for instruction on trading, hopefully someone can come up with a clear one, I'm pretty bad at explaining it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:19:55 am »

I had a parrot steal my anvil once. Baffling.

Anyway, on trading. The menu will come up, on the left is the merchant's inventory, and on the right is yours. You navigate both lists, pressing enter to include them in the trade. The goods will have two different stats you can see (Assuming your broker has the appraisal skill); Weight, which is the L shaped symbol, and value, with the sun shaped symbol. The merchants are there to make a profit, so you typically will need to offer them a 100+ dorfbuck advantage over you.

When you've set up the trade, press "t" to trade, not "o" to offer, giving them your marked goods gratis. If the merchant likes the deal, he will accept and the goods will transfer ownership. If he declines he will tell you so, and you need to give him a bigger profit. Be careful though, if he rejects too many he will storm out saying you aren't serious about trading.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Prester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:53:16 am »

that leads me to my next  question. how do i make someone a broker / appraiser ? its not listed in the labors list anywhere and the other stats like social and roles etc. i  cant change ... ?
and right now i am trading with elves and they have seeds i want and i put a lot of stuff in there for trading (excluding wood stuff) and just wanted 4 seeds and wherever i press t or o , nothing happens. not even a decline text.

1.bummer he has no anvil with him. how much of a wait time can i expect before i get someone with an anvil?
2.what should i build for easy trade money (so i can afford an anvil when someone finally has it)?
3. how do i make someone broker/appraiser/trader?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:37 am »

Only human and dwarvse brings anvil in vanilla. Elves doesn't do any metalworking.

Cloth rope is easy money but a bit of lengthly manfacturing chain. Making wooden spiked balls is good money but elves won't accept them ( they get angry over wooden products ). Prepared meals are hugely valuable and as long as it don't get into a wooden barrel or pot, you can sell them to elves.

check the 'n' button, you appoints someone to be broker there. Same for book-keeper, which you'll want to keep an eye on detailed stocks, they need a table and chair to work with, though.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:04:52 am »

The broker is a noble and you can select a dwarf by bringing up the (n)obles screen. There you can also assign a bookmaker who is quite useful to keep in track with all your products.

Elves don't have anvils. You have to wait for the humans.

Good trading goods are lavish meals, but be sure to check your kitchen screen first and disable useful things for cooking.

You can also make mechanisms or crafts from stone, which you should have in abundance.

I don't know why you can't trade, something must be awkward.
If your trader is at the depot and you have something to sell, it should work (provided it has enough value).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:26:24 pm »

Kobolds and thieving animals like to go for the most valuable object they can find. At the very beginning of your fortress, that 100 or 300db anvil is likely one of your more valuable objects. Monkeys and keas can come in large groups, and will all go for a different object.

Next time, build the forge immediately. If an item is part of a building, it can't be stolen. Weapons (ie. your spare picks and axes) can be built into a weapon trap, though you'll need to make at least one mechanism first. As an added bonus, putting your unbuildable valuables behind those weapon-storage buildings will mess up any animals that get that far.

You could also create a buffer of expendable but expensive items. Wooden spiked balls are pretty good for this, being worth 126db at the very minimum.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.