Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack Workflow Noob question: Clothing industry  (Read 1560 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
DFHack Workflow Noob question: Clothing industry
« on: August 08, 2013, 05:14:32 pm »

I can't, for the life of me, figure out the workflow commands to keep 100 masterwork pigtail fiber shirts/trousers/shoes in stock.

Nor, apparently, can my google-fu help me fight free of this issue.

Can someone help de-noob me in this utility?

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack Workflow Noob question: Clothing industry
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »

Using the gui tool makes it easy to do this. You might need to use the job-material tool to select the appropriate material first.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »

There's a GUI tool for DFHack?  Didn't see anything like that in the LNP, where should I look?

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:22 pm »

The command is gui/workflow
I have it bound to Alt-W

In dfhack.init:

keybinding add Alt-W gui/workflow

The other command I like is gui/room-list.  I like to unassign nobles their old rooms when I give them a new one.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:06:03 pm »

Thank you.  This will take some getting used to but it's very helpful.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:41 am »

I my previous fort I tried the same tactics with workflow to keep a constant supply of clothes.
I failed miserably:
No matter how fast I created clothes, the little buggers would claim them on the spot and throw away their xsocksx. Maybe it's possible to do with max 50 dwarves (I had about 120 at the time), but I have my doubts. They just come back to claim a new piece as soon as it's ready, and stash away the old one, even if it's only a month old. It's like an endless carousel. :(

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:19:00 am »

It's pretty easy to keep a 200 dwarf-fort stocked with clothing. One silk farm or one pig tail farm is more than enough.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:23 am »

Once you learn the in-game gui for workflow it becomes 100x more helpful.  You should be able to keep your clothing industry afloat easily with it.

The real fun part is trying to keep all the clothing dyed.  Workflow doesn't support it, as far as I know.

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 04:47:16 am »

Yeah, it's too bad. The only option you have is to set your workshop to only use dyed clothes and keep your dyers and millers on repeat.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:47:46 am »

Fricy, it's not that hard, but I do tend to overproduce... well... everything.  I run a 3x3 pigtail and 3x3 rope reed plot, and that's more than enough plants to keep me in cloth.  My peasants all get plant processing (along with hauling and other annoying skill-less jobs) and I've got a farmer's workshop dedicated to thread production.  The loom works automagically, and I usually run 3 weaver/clothmakers with two cloth shops (hey, space is cheap in a fortress). Eventually I may get dye involved, but if you're not able to keep up with plants, you need more farmers, usually.

My current fort of 150 runs out of leather armors on occassion because I forget to produce more, but never clothing unless I forget to set the job manager.   I've got 10 farm dedicated dwarves for my 12 3x3 plots.  They're usually bored so they help with butchery/processing once I see them start idling.  I just steal one migrant from each wave for the farms until I get to that point.