Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How effective is bone armor?  (Read 2106 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
How effective is bone armor?
« on: September 18, 2013, 09:53:13 am »

I'm assuming it's terrible but no need to worry, I'm only intending to use it for rituals involving my dwarves donning the bones of their foes for a battle to be the champion.

Basically, there's a god named Subil in my world that happens to be the god of chaos and war. I'm going to build a disorganized temple of crazies dedicated to him on the surface that wear, if I can find a way to make it, goblin bone armor into battle with goblins.

There's also going to be some instances of dwarves going forth to collect the heads of their foes, for there can be only one champion.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How effective is bone armor?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 10:10:42 am »

It's better than going naked... but not superior to any of the metals.

You'll have to regenerate a world with a modded entities file to allow butchering sentients. Can't do it with a current, non-modded fort, barring a impossibly lucky string of strange moods.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Morgorin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:23 am »

I like your style, sir.
Quote from: Xune
Urist McFred cancels these pants: too sexy.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:29 am »

You'll have to regenerate a world with a modded entities file to allow butchering sentients. Can't do it with a current, non-modded fort, barring a impossibly lucky string of strange moods.

If the enemies are torn limb from limb in combat, some of their remains may rot to usable bones. Serrated disc traps and elite axedwarf squads can do marvellous work in that respect. This allows creating the occasional pair of elf bone gauntlets and human bone helmets without modding your dwarfs into gobelfs. Since such craftable bones only occur randomly and somewhat rarely, it also makes them special, which i approve of.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:51 am »

Look at it this way:

A training spear can easily cave in a bone skull in a single hit.

And you want to use that for armor.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

I also believe that you can use a necromancer to reanimate partial goblins so they can be ground to even smaller pieces, either with more weapon traps or by dropping them down large distances. Turn any migrant with a preference for bones into a smith so that your metal artifacts will at least be bone-decorated.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »

Look at it this way:

A training spear can easily cave in a bone skull in a single hit.

Training spears can destroy brains through a skull _without breaking the skull_. Heads are modelled in a ridiculously wrong way currently, so that any even minimally effective hit to the head will irrevocably destroy a brain by "jamming the skull through the brain". A hit that actually breaks the skull doesn't automatically cause brain-death; it takes a lot of excess force to cause brain damage on top of a broken skull, but next to no force if the skull remains intact.

My current best theory is that DF skulls have reactive armour on the inside, so an explosion is triggered obliterating the brain whenever the skull gets touched. If the skull breaks, the blast can escape and the brain has a chance of survival.

Edit: oh, effectiveness of bone armour... yeah, it's not too great. It offers a layer an attack must get through and it doesn't rot, but it's pretty ineffective against metal weapons or powerful animals. If you can get some bone shields to equip your warriors with (requires bonecrafting moods), those would be both stylish and effective. Material doesn't matter for blocking checks, only skill and item quality.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:11:56 pm by Larix »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »

Bone would work fine for reducing the number of times you roll snake eyes on a normally-minor accident, but relying on it for combat won't get you far. You'd be better served by giving your dwarves a shield for blocking and a weapon for parrying, and training them up a bit in the relevant skills.

Even a completely unskilled dwarf has a fair chance of blocking a hit with a shield, which is especially useful when you have a civilian dwarf who's faster than a goblin squad but slower than a bolt.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.