Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shelter-Badger mother simulator: has anyone played it? Does it have proc. gen?  (Read 913 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I've seen this game advertised on gog, and while the premise looks interesting, I'm interesting in knowing before purchasing whether it has procedurally generated content  or it's more of the scripted sort of game, as I'd be interested in the former, not so much in the latter.

http://shelterthegame.com/

so... does anyone know the answer to this?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember seeing this on Greenlight, and I'm fairly certain it's NOT procedurally generated. Not completely certain though, so here are a few let's play videos I was able to find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_rwy4g4Po&feature=share&list=PLnG_Wm-iC3dqrcfJQYa1mrsNvdw4f5f_7
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just picked the game up today, it is not procedurally generated. It is level based and fairly linear. The devs have said it takes about 1.5-2 hours to finish it but I managed to get to the end in an hour.

I thoroughly enjoyed what was there but I did end up feeling like it would have been nice if it was a just a little longer. Even if it was just the 1.5 hours I would have been happy.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Ah, I'm surprised its so short.  From the videos I had it figured for a sandboxy kinda game.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At first I was disappointed that it wasn't a sandbox game. However in playing it you can tell they were trying to shape an experience, and they do a really good job of it. I was more emotionally invested in my badger family than I have been for any character in any other game I've played recently. They set the mood really well, sometimes it's endearingly cute, sometimes it's tense and sometimes it's sad.

I liked the minimalist art style the game had, it shows me that a game without high rez textures can still be beautiful. The music was decent, I wouldn't say it was one of its strong points but it got the job done and was never obtrusive.

Overall I really enjoyed the experience but like I mentioned it did feel a bit short. I can understand why they'd want to keep a game like this short, because at its current length it all felt new and interesting the whole way through. But an hour isn't a very long time. I could see a playthrough taking longer if you explored every last nook and cranny of the levels but at the pace I was going I didn't feel like I was rushing through them.