Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Spewing Into Forge?  (Read 941 times)

skullman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Magma Spewing Into Forge?
« on: August 09, 2013, 12:48:11 pm »

Hello everyone,

So I've been playing DF for a while now and am familiar with almost all aspects of the game. I have had numerous forts with magma forges and smelters but this time something unexpected happened. I have looked around and haven't found any posts related to this so I apologize if this has already been covered.

My problem in that out of nowhere magma started boiling up through the channels I made for my magma smelters and forges. Now I've had these things operational for some time and randomly they just started spewing out magma. As a result two of my best dwarves were killed and the room is slowly filling with magma. Anyone know whats going on?   

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Spewing Into Forge?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 12:50:05 pm »

I can only think of two things. That the channel was over open magma sea, and magma are bubbling up through uncovered hole ( impassable workspace covers it ). Second that it's pumped magma and the pump is at or above the magma forge area.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:41 pm »

Are the channels below the highest level of the magma?
I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to make forges at the magma sea, with a magma pipe leading up to the third cavern.

I'm not sure what would be causing this, but if I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with how magma pipes and volcanoes refill themselves.

skullman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:55:53 pm »

Ok then that must be the issue. I channeled over the magma sea but below the pipe. For a good while things were fine but now... I'll relocate to the top of the pipe. Thanks guys

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:39:04 pm »

Yep it's because of the pipe.

Magma isn't affected by pressure like water and won't rise up z-levels on its own unless it's pumped or a pipe is present.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Magma#Properties_of_magma
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

Are the channels below the highest level of the magma?
I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to make forges at the magma sea, with a magma pipe leading up to the third cavern.

I'm not sure what would be causing this, but if I had to guess I'd say it has something to do with how magma pipes and volcanoes refill themselves.

Pretty much it, yes, I've seen it called 'bubbles' by others, it seems fitting name when it pops into the room. I've watched and tapped volcanoes and magma sea, they always pops up around 1/7 to 3/7 of fresh magma randomly above the flows. It makes accidental taps into magma sea from above a bit fun for me :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:37:49 pm »

In an embark without a magma pipe, you can channel into the magma sea anywhere and it won't burst up. In an embark with a magma pipe, the 48x48 square that the pipe occupies will sporadically produce magma, up to the level the pool was at upon embark.

You can also check it out by using DFHack on an embark with a pipe. Drain all the magma using the liquids command, and then see how the magma re-enters the map.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

skullman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 02:56:10 pm »

Alright, wont make that mistake again. One other thing that is off topic but I can't seem to find the answer elsewhere so I'll ask it here. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I just discovered Masterwork and I love it. Though there are no cats... Now I've read that cats as well as other "Human" pets were taken out and replaced with more dwarven style animals. But what animal in Masterwork functions as a cat? That is to say what will kill all those annoying little critters now?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:54:20 pm »

I don't know anything about Masterwork, but in vanilla birds of prey will kill vermin as well.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:25 am »

Moleweasles will hunt vermin, and breed like rabbits...