Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding for no reason  (Read 283 times)

ilmenidren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Forbidding for no reason
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:02:54 pm »

I haven't really noticed this until now, but a Elven trade caravan got wiped out by a bunch of first wave goblins, no biggie I hate elves anyway, but the strange thing about it was that, even after I set the "o - F" menu to claim EVERYTHING! MUAHAHA!!! it seems I have to keep going back to the 'k' menu to un-forbid items, kinda annoying. I barely look at my stocks screen in the 'z' menu as I am afraid of that crash bug if u have too much stone, but when I do I notice that all the stocks that both the trader and the goblins were carrying is always forbidden. I mean it isn't that big of a deal I just have to scroll through a huge lists of items and unforbid them in the stocks 'z' menu, it seems to keep them claimed, but why don't my dwarves just pick up the items anyway? I let them take everything as mentioned before....

Edit: oh forgot to ask, does the death of any "out of towners" that wasn't by me, make them pissed at me? the kingdoms that is, say for instance; does the death of that elven caravan mean an imminent Elven invasion into my fortress now?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:06:58 pm by ilmenidren »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding for no reason
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:36:40 pm »

yes, they'll blame you for any death, wether it is your fault or not. It does take a lot of deaths before anyone becomes angry enough to attack you though.

The stuff from a trader wagon or pack animal is forbidden because they are trade goods, which isn't covered in the settings, similarly with the goblin stuff. It's forbidden by default when they get on the map, while the forbid on death and such options deal with non-forbidden stuff that becomes forbidden through something, like a bolt becomming forbidden -after- being fired.

you can use (d) (b) (c) to mass claim a tile or area, unforbidding everything in the area. I'm pretty sure it affects a 3D area if you use it right, to make it easier if the stuff is spread all over a mountainside. (d) (b) (c) is the default by the way, so just (d) (b) works too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding for no reason
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »

Another recent thread had several posters commenting that elves have become extremely difficult to cause war with, even through unacceptable trades and the death of caravans.  Not sure if that'll affect your map too, but it's a factor apparently for some.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.